We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring the GCSouth Rim in December

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Touring the GCSouth Rim in December

I am working on planning a family vacation in December....just after Christmas.

I am exhausted by reading all the wonderful tips and suggestions here on this site and I haven't really found anything related to traveling here during this time.

If anyone can provide me with information on what it's like during late December, I'd really appreciate it.

I know it will be cold and we will prepare for that, as well as some possible snow, which I've read would be spectacular viewing!

We typically go snow skiing in December but we were thinking of doing something a little different this year.

We are a family of 4...Mom, Dad and two older teenage girls who are adventurous and athletic.

Thanks in advance to all who provide info!

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
503 reviews
from US$276.99*
US$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,495 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring the GCSouth Rim in December

Winter at the GC is beautiful. Weather can potentially be brutal though. Hiking below the rim may be a bit more challenging and access limited.

Plan a couple of nights at the GCNP. Book your lodging right now. The hotels there will fill up.

Combine your GC time with a few days in Sedona and possibly a few more in a warm weather destination like Phoenix or Scottsdale. Also, there is a potential for skiing near Flagstaff.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring the GCSouth Rim in December

Well, dreams of "White Christmases" typically come true up here - we're 7,000' above sea level, so storms that dump 1-2' at a pop aren't unheard of but they don't happen all the time. Snow or no snow, it will be cold, so bring the coats, gloves, etc.

The final week of December is typically busy as a lot of families visit the park then, so booking your lodging PRONTO is key. Try to stay in the park if you can. Visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com or call 888-297-2757 to check availability for Grand Canyon park hotels. If nothing is available there, then try Tusayan/Grand Canyon Village South just outside the park. Info re: Tusayan hotels ->: http://bit.ly/FQ2Leb

If you happen to get a good storm during your stay, you might check with the Canyon Marketplace and see if they're renting cross-country skis. When conditions are right, they sometimes groom trails by Grandview Point. There are some spots where you can actually see the canyon from, even though you're a ways away from the rim. It's a very cool experience, one I've enjoyed many times, but again, snow conditions have to be just right for this to be offered.

Another piece of advice for winter travelers to the Grand Canyon: don't schedule yourself too tightly. If you happen to be delayed or detoured by weather, having a few days of "wiggle room" can be a godsend.

Hope that helps.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring the GCSouth Rim in December

Y'all have been super helpful!

Thanks a bunch!

4. Re: Touring the GCSouth Rim in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 10:16