We are planning a late June 2013 trip. After reviewing the TONS of info on the TripAdvisor forums, here is our high level itinerary. The "we" is my wife and I, and our 4 boys who will be 18, 16, 14, and 11 at the time of our trip.
I would love any feedback from the experts on the forums.
The high level itinerary is:
- Flying into Phoenix and spend the night. Spend the day in Phoenix and catch a Diamondbacks game (already checked, they are home this day). It is a late afternoon game, so we will drive to Sedona after the game.
- Sedona for 2 nights, but only 1 full day. Plan would be to visit Slide Rock in the morning and do a sunset Jeep tour with either Pink Jeep or A Day in the West.
- Grand Canyon (1 night) - do some hiking and picture taking. Already have a room that sleeps 6 reserved. And stop at some of the look out points on the drive to Page, AZ
- Page, AZ (1 night) This will let us go shopping in the morning before we get our houseboat.
- Lake Powell - Wahweap Marina - rent a houseboat (most likely the 46' Expedition) and power boat. This is where I could use some help with suggestions on where to anchor the houseboat for each of the two nights. Also suggestions on what canyons/arches/etc would be the best to see in a 3 day/2 night visit.
- Zion National Park (4 nights) - staying at the Zion Ponderosa. Definitely want to hike the Zion Narrows.
- Las Vegas (1 night) - visit the Hoover Dam and take in the sights on The Strip.
- Phoenix (1 night) - spend the night before our early AM flight home to Pennsylvania.
I know there is a lot packed into the trip, and some would argue for more days at certain locations. But you have to remember that we have 4 boys travelling with us who will get bored if we keep stopping to look at too many "rocks". My guess is that Lake Powell and Zion will be the highlights of the trip for them.