We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 2013 Trip Planning - opinions please

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
314 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
June 2013 Trip Planning - opinions please

We are planning a late June 2013 trip. After reviewing the TONS of info on the TripAdvisor forums, here is our high level itinerary. The "we" is my wife and I, and our 4 boys who will be 18, 16, 14, and 11 at the time of our trip.

I would love any feedback from the experts on the forums.

The high level itinerary is:

- Flying into Phoenix and spend the night. Spend the day in Phoenix and catch a Diamondbacks game (already checked, they are home this day). It is a late afternoon game, so we will drive to Sedona after the game.

- Sedona for 2 nights, but only 1 full day. Plan would be to visit Slide Rock in the morning and do a sunset Jeep tour with either Pink Jeep or A Day in the West.

- Grand Canyon (1 night) - do some hiking and picture taking. Already have a room that sleeps 6 reserved. And stop at some of the look out points on the drive to Page, AZ

- Page, AZ (1 night) This will let us go shopping in the morning before we get our houseboat.

- Lake Powell - Wahweap Marina - rent a houseboat (most likely the 46' Expedition) and power boat. This is where I could use some help with suggestions on where to anchor the houseboat for each of the two nights. Also suggestions on what canyons/arches/etc would be the best to see in a 3 day/2 night visit.

- Zion National Park (4 nights) - staying at the Zion Ponderosa. Definitely want to hike the Zion Narrows.

- Las Vegas (1 night) - visit the Hoover Dam and take in the sights on The Strip.

- Phoenix (1 night) - spend the night before our early AM flight home to Pennsylvania.

I know there is a lot packed into the trip, and some would argue for more days at certain locations. But you have to remember that we have 4 boys travelling with us who will get bored if we keep stopping to look at too many "rocks". My guess is that Lake Powell and Zion will be the highlights of the trip for them.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,528 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 2013 Trip Planning - opinions please

There's a 3 hour time change on your travel day from PA. You'll wake up very early on the day after you arrive. The ball game will end in the evening and you'll be driving to Sedona after a long day in the heat of Phoenix. You will arrive in Sedona late at night, effectively 3 hours later by your body clock. The point is, you're going to be tired.

I'd flip the plan for your Sedona day. Do the jeep tour in the morning, and then go to Slide Rock. Otherwise, you'll never make it to the jeep tour, and even if you think it will be cool at sunset, it won't. Choose Pink Jeep, they are the best.

Use at least one of your Zion days to go to Bryce. I'd also consider using another for Page or Lake Powell. House boating is awesome. Two days is not enough. And you'll miss Page and all of the other attractions there.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,029 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 2013 Trip Planning - opinions please

If you have never been to GCNP before, you may find your time there possibly short. There are no rocks like the Grand Canyon.

If you are in Sedona on a weekend, Slide Rock will be very crowded, and often no parking available.

Edited: 05 October 2012, 09:24
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
805 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 2013 Trip Planning - opinions please

One of the places I'd visit on Lake Powell is Rainbow Bridge!

Add Bryce to your itinerary - okay, it's just rocks, in a way, but there's rocks and rocks - it's stunning and breath-taking, and it's really close to Zion.

I'd also have recommended a second night at the GC, but so be it ...

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 2013 Trip Planning - opinions please

Unless you are serious hikers, four days is a long time at Zion. Since you are planning on being there that long, make sure you do the Kolob Canyon part of the park.

I would agree that Bryce Canyon is well worth your time. With Zion you are at the bottom looking up, and at BCNP you are at the top looking down (you can also hike down trails that take you up close to the hoodoos). The play of light on the hoodoos during the day and at sunrise and sunset is fantastic.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 2013 Trip Planning - opinions please

Should also have suggested you look into the annual pass for all national parks, monuments, and other federally owned lands. It's $80 for a year and covers the named passholder, a secondary passholder, and occupants of the passholder's car for admission into the properties. If you are going to visit two (or possibly three) national parks on this trip, depending on future travel plans, it might be worth your while to get the pass at your first park.

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
555 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 2013 Trip Planning - opinions please

On lake Powell go to Labrynth canyon and Rainbow bridge national monument( the world's largest natural arch)

Also highly recommend a tour through Lower Antelope Canyon but it will cost $26 per person the beauty there is stunning .

The short one hour hike in Page to HorseshoeBend would be worth seeing and maybe even a tour of Glen Canyon Dam

7. Re: June 2013 Trip Planning - opinions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 23:19