We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney-LA-Acalpuco-Nebraska-DC-LA-SYD

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney-LA-Acalpuco-Nebraska-DC-LA-SYD

Hi all,

We are planning a trip to Acalpuco, Mexico for a wedding on the 20th October. We wanted to see some sights in Mexico, such as the Pyramids. Thinking of maybe 3 days in Mexico tops. Then to Nebraska and D.C (in no particular order) to visit family for a few days each and then back home to Sydney.

I have been reading many forums and talking to my travel agent and we are still undecided as to how best to tackle this trip. 10-14days maximum with a very small budget.

We were initially thinking to rent a car to travel to Nebraska and DC but then read about taking a train.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

West Yellowstone...
Destination Expert
for Flagstaff, West Yellowstone
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney-LA-Acalpuco-Nebraska-DC-LA-SYD

You have posted in the Grand Canyon forum, but no part of your question seems to indicate you are planning to visit the Grand Canyon.

You may want to repost your question in the Budget Travel Forum -http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12290-Bargain_Travel.html or the Road Trips Forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney-LA-Acalpuco-Nebraska-DC-LA-SYD

Sorry, I did click the Los Angles forum but something obviously didn't work.

Thanks for the link.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,922 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney-LA-Acalpuco-Nebraska-DC-LA-SYD

Not really relevant to LA either.

You have too much on your agenda. "The pyramids" in Mexico (Teotihuacan) are NE of Mexico City and require a full day to visit and are a long distance from Acapulco.

Train travel is limited in the US, and best in the Northeast area. Traveling between DC and Nebraska by train is about 3 days travel, about the same as driving.

The best idea is booking one multi-city trip by air.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,922 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney-LA-Acalpuco-Nebraska-DC-LA-SYD

I would also add that you would not want to drive from anywhere in Mexico to the US. The distances are vast. You would also have difficulty getting a rental car in Mexico for a one-way rental.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,926 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney-LA-Acalpuco-Nebraska-DC-LA-SYD

I'll chime in with a couple of thoughts, too. You need to play to fly from Mexico to DC or Nebraska, then between those two, then back to Syndey. Hopefully you have already booked tickets if you mean Oct 20 this year. 14 days is the magic booking deadline. Once you're buying tickets for less than 14 days out, you'll pay a higher rate. Your routes aren't going to be cheap tickets under the best circumstances, so I hope your budget isn't too small.

Its possible to get a train from Lincoln or Omaha and get to DC. Unlikely it will b any cheaper than a plane and it will likely take several days. ... OK, not as bad as I though. Train leaves Lincoln at 3:26 AM (yep, AM) on Friday 10/27. Arrives Chicago at 2:50 PM. Next train leaves Chicago at 6:10 PM (still on Friday) and arrives in DC at 12:40 PM (about lunchtime). So, total of 32 hours. Fare (today) is $209.

Its a 34 hour drive from Acalpuco to Lincoln. 20 hours from Lincoln to DC. Now, I'm almost certainly overly paranoid, but there is absolutely no way I would even consider driving through those remote areas of Mexico. There are just too many drug-related murders going on. Frankly, I won't even visit the resort areas of Mexico right now (see, I said I was overly paranoid.)

6. Re: Sydney-LA-Acalpuco-Nebraska-DC-LA-SYD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 21:17