We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild West/Cowboy show? What to do at night??

Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wild West/Cowboy show? What to do at night??

We're headed to the Grand Canyon tomorrow for the night, and my husband said he read somewhere about a cowboy type show. Does anyone know about it? I saw something at the Grand Canyon Dinner Theater.........

If you've been, is it worth going to? What else is there to do when the sun goes down? (we're staying at Bright Angel)

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bright Angel Lodge
Bright Angel Lodge
2,660 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,851 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild West/Cowboy show? What to do at night??

No shows at the GCNP other than the canyon. Your day at high altitude in the fresh air will make sleeping the most desired activity at night. See sunset. Have dinner. Walk some paths on the rim in or near the GCVillage. Expect to see deer and elk. Go to bed and wakeup early enough to enjoy sunrise.

If you are unfortunate and forced to stay outside the park, you'll find gimmicks and shows in Williams or Tusayan.

Mentioned in this post
Williams
Williams
Arizona
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild West/Cowboy show? What to do at night??

We're staying in the park - just thought I'd check to see if there is anything worth seeing. We've been in Sedona the last 3 days, hiking non-stop, so I definitely know about hitting the sack early. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,893 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild West/Cowboy show? What to do at night??

Well there are plenty of things worth seeing .... the stars and the milky way! Make sure you bring a flashlight or 2. Also there are evening ranger programs, check the paper you get when you enter the park.

Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild West/Cowboy show? What to do at night??

Thanks - I'll definitely check out the ranger programs. I have a feeling that there aren't going to be any stars or milky way to see - they are calling for strong storms and a lot of wind and rain Thursday night through Friday...... Otherwise, that's exactly what I'd be doing :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,893 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild West/Cowboy show? What to do at night??

Yikes, well maybe the weather report will be wrong, lol! There is the IMAX theater in Tusayan. Or bring a deck of cards and enjoy having nothing else to do, lol! Sometimes less is more!

Mentioned in this post
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild West/Cowboy show? What to do at night??

The murals in the bar at the Bright Angel Lodge make a nice companion for a hot toddy or decaf coffee.

There's free wireless in the lobby there too, IIRC.

Sitting in El Tovar and people-watching is one of our favorite things. I believe they have a piano on the second floor.

Then, head to the room with a copy of Death in Grand Canyon (not as morbid as it sounds, really very educational) and read with a flashlight in the dark.

This is all in case of stormy weather. If there's lightening, then the porch of the El Tovar is a good place to watch it. If you're brave, you can walk down by the Kolb Studio and watch it from there, too.

But by far, our favorite thing is those stars. Going out to one of the overlooks at night when (almost) no one is there and sitting somewhere and looking up is amazing (especially when there's no moon).

Mentioned in this post
Bright Angel Lodge
Bright Angel Lodge
2,660 Reviews
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,181 Reviews
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild West/Cowboy show? What to do at night??

Look at "Top Questions about Grand Canyon National Park" on the right - there's one about what to do after dark.

Yes, there is a newish dinner theater in Tusayan. Haven't been and haven't seen any reviews, though.

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Wild West/Cowboy show? What to do at night??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 14:19