We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip - Initial Planning

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
144 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip - Initial Planning

Hello - I am thinking about a road trip in early April - How does this look? Are my times in the different areas appropriate? Am I missing anything major? My husband and I have never been in that part of the country!

Day 1: Fly into Phoenix - Arrive 9:30 am - Day in Phoenix

Day 2: Day/Night in Sedona

Day 3: Petrified Forest and Painted Rock, night in Flagstaff

Day 4: Antelope Canyon/Monument Valley - Night in that area

Day 5 - Grand Canyon

Day 6 - Grand Canyon AM, drive to Phoenix

Day 7 : Fly out early AM flight

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip - Initial Planning

Too aggressive. Less is more. Days are still short in early April and winter weathers still possible, especially around Flagstaff and the GCNP.

Given your 7 day window I'd divide the time between Sedona and the GCNP and add either Page or Monument Valley. don't consider those two places as a combined day. They are not. MV needs a day and a night. Page needs that, or more. PF/PD and Fagstaff is a long day with less return for the time invested IMO. Focus on Flag and ruins sites nearby if you must.but Sedona or GCNP or Page will be a better use of your limited time.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip - Initial Planning

Thanks, is it too cold during early April for MV?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip - Initial Planning

Why would it be too cold? Other than Phoenix and possibly Sedona, Monument Valley will be the warmest part of your trip. The thing about MV is that it's so far away. And going there without staying over night is a waste IMO.

Edited: 17 October 2012, 01:41
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip - Initial Planning

I was mistaken! Thanks for clearing it up. Some change of plans, we decided we would like to at least see Vegas and the flights aren't too much different flying in to Phoenix and out of Vegas

Sat Day 1: Fly into Phoenix, spend the night.

Sun Day 2: Sedona

Monday Day 3: Sedona.

Tuesday Day 4: Grand Canyon.

Wednesday Day 5: Grand Canyon.

Thursday Day 6: Not Sure

Friday: Morning free, drive to Vegas in the afternoon

Saturday: Fly out of Vegas

Any suggestions for how to spend the extra day/morning? I'm not set on the order but we are flying into Phoenix and out of Vegas.

Thank you!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip - Initial Planning

A better use of time. But before you book, check the cost of car rental, including relocation fees. Often that could be more than the airfare.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip - Initial Planning

Yes, I just found that out. I think we will save Vegas for another trip

Sat Day 1: Fly into Phoenix, spend the night.

Sun Day 2: Sedona

Monday Day 3: Sedona.

Tuesday Day 4: Grand Canyon.

Wednesday Day 5: Grand Canyon.

Thursday Day 6: Not Sure

Friday: Morning/afternoon free - red eye home

What would be a good use of Thursday/Friday? Destinations can be moved around since we will be in and out of PHX

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip - Initial Planning

Your next step should be checking available lodging at the GCNP. That may well determine the order of your plan. I would use that extra night either for Page or another night in Sedona.

www.visitpageaz.com

www.visitsedona.com

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip - Initial Planning

You can try shopping around a bit on the one-way car rental. Sometimes rental companies need to move cars around as part of their regular fleet management, and will lower or even waive the one-way rental fee if you're going in the right direction. I believe they do tend to move cars out of Phoenix in the Spring, since it's a less popular Summer tourist destination. Anyways, if Vegas/Hoover Dam are important to you, might be worth investigating.

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
312 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip - Initial Planning

Hi Travel bug. I would take RedRox's advice and spend the extra day is Sedona or visit Page (Page is further north than the grand canyon-maybe an hour or 2?). Re: the car rental, I would advise you to shop around. It may be cheaper to rent a car from downtown Phoenix. All you have to do is take a cab to the rental place from the airport. Our weekly car rental

was $300 but would have been $600 from the airport.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip - Initial Planning

Ok here is another idea...thanks for your patience everyone!

I know it is a quick trip but we are trying to make the most of the time we can be there in early April.

Saturday - Arrive in Phoenix at 9 am - Drive to Sedona

Sunday - Day in Sedona

Monday - Sunrise in Sedona then day in GC

Tuesday - Drive to Page in the morning, night in Page

Wednesday - Drive to MV in the morning, night in MV

Thursday - Take the day to drive to Phoenix, stopping along the way to break up the trip.

Friday - early morning flight

I think we may be pushing it with going to MV and Page. My other plan would be to spend the majority of Wednesday in Page and then drive to Flagstaff and explore Flagstaff and surrounding area on Thursday.

We could also spend all of Wednesday in Page and do the Page - Phoenix drive on Thursday.

And the winning option is....