We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

Flying into Vegas first week of June staying 2 nights, then renting a car and driving to south rim for 2 nights then back to Vegas for 3 nights.. My question is what is some of the things worth seeing on my way to and from the GC. I want to get on Route 66 for a part of the way. How far is Winslow Arizona I want to say I stood on the corner of WInslow Arizona would this be possible? Are there other NP or scenic places I should see.

Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,411 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

Best short stretch of nostalgic RT66 is at Seligman AZ. Winslow would be a 2-4 hour detour. The corner monument is there, but if you're a true fan, you already know that Jackson Brown was inspired to write the lyrics while standing on a corner in Flagstaff.

Read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page and also on the Las Vegas forum page.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

How about a stop at Hoover Dam?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

>> The corner monument is there, but if you're a true fan, you already know that Jackson Brown was inspired to write the lyrics while standing on a corner in Flagstaff.

Ahh... but the Winslow, AZ and the flatbed Ford verse was written by Glenn Frey! ;)

Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

I have read the top questions on the left but I am confused on what towns we will go thru. Winslow is not a must do just thought it would be neat to say I had been there. We will stop by Hoover Dam we have been there before. Coming from Vegas which entrance is closest to the canyon and how far apart are the south and east exits if I go thru one and out the other.

Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,411 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

Logical entrance is at the main gate at Tusayan. Exiting the east entrance would then take you down by Wupatki/Sunset Crater NM and on to Flagstaff. Winslow is about 45-60 minutes east of Flag. Flag back to LV is about 5 hours.

DTF, it's good to have friends who know their music history.

Auckland
Level Contributor
147 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

We did the Kingman to Seligman stretch of Route 66 earlier this month. It is not as scenic or nostalgic in large stretches as we had hoped however the Hackberry General Store was worth the detour on its own. Hubby's jaw just about dropped to the floor when we pulled up here. I do all the planning for our trips so had some idea of what to expect and had tried to convey this to him but he clearly hadn't taken in what I said. We were in a Mustang convertible (on hubby's bucket list!) and he managed to pull up in front of the old style gas pumps there and get a photo of him in the car with the top down. The mile wide grin said it all.

Really impressed with the range of Route 66 memorabilia stocked here and the prices are very reasonable. Stopped at Seligman too, look for the old car on the side of the road and the mannequins appropriately dressed. Fun to get a photo here and plenty of memorabilia in the shop here too.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

The Hackberry General Store and Seligman are certainly the highlights of the Route 66 stretch between Kingman and Seligman. And they are very well worth the drive. And I'd have said it IS more scenic, albeit not vastly different, but it's also much more pleasant to cruise down that nearly empty road at leisure rather than playing dodge 'em all the way with the large nose-to-tail semis all the way on the Interstate.

There's also Oatman on Route 66 SW of Kingman, but that's a real detour.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
101 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

Thank you for the post sounds just like what we want to do.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

Yes, a detour via Oatman but There's an historic R66 museum/visitor center in Kingman. On the way to Oatman you'll find Cool Springs (restored fuel station/small museum), Ed's Camp (a lot of rubish), Sitgreaves pass (narrow and 5 miles of switchbacks at each side) a reopened Gold mine and Oatman itself of course. This stretch is a must for R66 buffs. Hackberry and Seligman are other must stops. You also will find some old buildings at Truxton, a cave near Peach Springs, the Valentine sign and Keepers of the Wild in Valentine.

10. Re: What other places to see on the way to and from GC from Vega

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:17