We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit

Elkton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit

We're trying to decide between the last week of August and the first week of October. Please give us some advice. We have a week and if anyone is interested in helping with an itinerary, it will be welcome! Haven't booked anything yet.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit

First, be sure you are talking about GCNP South Rim where the "real" Grand Canyon is seen.

The first week of October is likely to be somewhat less busy as kids will be in school. If you are at GCNP during the week as opposed to on a weekend, the crowds are even less. Hearing that, also know that it it easy to avoid crowds by simple scheduling to go to areas at times when crowds won't be there.

After a recent trip of my own, and not the first or last, I have decided my "base" advice is 2 nights at GCNP, which means parts of 2 days plus a full day, are a minimum to see all areas of the park. The best place to stay is in the park in the park lodges, which should be possible to reserve given the lead time, but once you decide your dates, book your lodging.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g143028-c1034/Grand-C…

grandcanyonlodges.com

The lodges outside the park are in the same price range, and you don't need a swimming pool. But do stay in the park for the best experience.

I recommend the additional time spent in Sedona and visiting the various natural and prehistoric attractions that can be found in the area of GCNP and Sedona.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Elkton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit

Thank you Bob! Will the weather be too hot in aug or too cool in oct? Good point about the school kids. I would definitely like to visit Sedona too. Are you recommending it over Bryce and Zion? Is all of it possible in a week? Don't want to rush thru all of it. Fly into Phoenix or LV? Never been in this area at all so I'm just beginning to research. Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,688 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit

A week is a good amount of time to visit GCNP and Sedona. It's possible to visit Zion, Bryce and GCNP in a week, but you'd want to add Page to that plan and then a week is pushing it. Adding Sedona to all of that would be out of the question in only a week.

There is never a bad time to visit the GCNP or the other destinations mentioned. Given the choice, my preference would be early Oct.

Mentioned in this post
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Elkton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit

Looks like we may have 9 days in Oct or 10 the end of Aug, including travel days. Within that time frame maybe we could do all. Possible? Where is Page and is it an area that we should see? Also wondering what kind of fall color there is in that area? Thought it was desert and there weren't any leafy trees to change color.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit

August is warm at GCNP. October can be mild or cool.

Page is northeast of GCNP. Get on a map, go north from Flagstaff on Hwy 89 .... it goes to Page. Page has accessible slot canyons, raft float trip on the Colorado River, and Lake Powell. Spectacular scenery.

You won't find much fall color. In the pine forests at GCNP, you will see aspens turning yellow.

In 9 or 10 days, you could do GCNP, Sedona, Page, Zion and Bryce, if you are up for changing locations frequently. The best airport for this is Las Vegas.

If you want a more relaxing time, there are plenty of things to see and do in the area of GCNP and Sedona, maybe even adding Page.

Mentioned in this post
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Colorado River
Colorado River
35 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit

We were just at Bryce and Zion the first week of October this year. We drove from Bryce to the Kolob Canyon section of Zion via Cedar Breaks National Monument and the fall colors were absolutely stunning Of course, this depends on the weather and no one can predict that this far in advance. Also, this area is at a higher elevation so plenty of trees and leaves.

Our trip took us from Phoenix to Page, then on to Bryce and Zion and then a return to Phoenix. The weather was great--cool evenings but really warm days--it was 85 degrees our first day in Zion (again, no one can predict next year).

Edited: 06 November 2012, 15:45
Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Elkton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit

Thanks everybody. Looks like it will probably be the last week of August, but still trying to convince my hubby that October would be good. We do have more time due to labor day. I have a ton of planning to do!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit

Longer days in august but other than that I'd pick first week of october any day. Labor Day weekend also will be crowded.

Elkton, Kentucky
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit

Thanks ! Good point.... We may have to deal with more crowds but it's a pretty big area. Should being there labor day weekend be a concern? We may need to re-do our calendar. If you all would just lay out a trip plan, it would be great!!

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit

It's quite possible to deal with crowds at GCNP even on the busiest weekends. GCNP needs a 1-2 night visit. In the morning early, the shuttles going to Hermits Rest are much less busy as the day visitors will not have arrived. Almost any time, the east road and overlooks to Desert View are fairly un-busy though Desert View itself is often very busy. The central GC Village area and the rim lodge area is fairly calm to mid-morning and again in late afternoon after the day visitors and tour buses leave, but avoid that area from about 10-3. Eating in the restaurants and cafeterias will take a lot of time on a busy weekend, so buy sandwiches and snacks for lunch in the market in the Market Place near Yavapai Lodge, and go east toward Desert View to find a place to picnic. Guard your food from the ground squirrels and ravens; they will steal your food, and they're quick about it.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 08:16
Mentioned in this post
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
2,844 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ