We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!

saskatoon
Level Contributor
148 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help!

We are leaving in three weeks. This is our tentative schedule however am starting to second guess.

Day 1. Land in Vegas. Spend the night.

Day 2. Up early. Drive to Grand Canyon. Stop at Hoover Dam. On to Grand Canyon with a stop in Seligman(short stop). Hotel booked in Grand Canyon.

Day 3. Morning at South Rim. Drive to Lake Havesu for 3 nights.

Day 6. Drive to Scottsdale for Barret Jackson for 2 nights.

Day 8. Back to Vegas for 2 nights.

What's wrong with this. Too much driving? What's to do in lake havesu? Suggestions please!

Ps. My husband likes old cars etc.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,413 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!

I would substitute Sedona for Havasu. After you see the London Bridge in Havasu, unless you have a boat, you may be searching for things to do. And its pretty cold to be boating right now.Do you golf?

Edited: 19 December 2012, 02:16
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,586 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!

Agreeing. I can't imagine why you would want to go all the way back to LH. Choose Sedona instead. There's way more to see and do, and it's logically halfway between GCNP and Scottsdale.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!

From Sedona you can do a Pink Jeep tour, hike around the red rocks, explore Oak Creek Canyon, do day trips down to Prescott, Jerome or Wickenburg...i am not a fan of Lake Havasu unless you have specific agendas/family there, it is a spring/summer haunt that sees lots of action ON the lake. If you absolutely have to have a lake, consider Page and Lake Powell area, somewhat out of your way, but not as far as Havasu would be! (It is farther north and weather might be an issue.)

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!

Love Emma Lake, and PA National Park.

Coming from SK I have heard of Lake Havasu, but Sedona was a new one to me until just last year. I was happy with my visit there. From GC head South to Flagstaff, then head to Sedona via Oak creek Canyon for a couple of nights, on your way to Scottsdale. This would make the most logistical sense for you, and would for sure minimize your driving.

http://www.visitsedona.com/

When you get back to Vegas you can visit the vintage auto collection at the Quad(imperial Palace)

autocollections.com/index.cfm…

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,036 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!

What's to do in Lake Havasu? Not much. Fishing is year round. Golf. Little else. Follow the advice above and go to Sedona instead.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!

Maybe also add a night to GCNP

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!

I too wonder what's the attraction of Lake Havasu. It's definitely not a winter destination and unless you've got some kind of obligation to spend some time there, skip it, or perhaps hit it on the way back to Las Vegas from Scottsdale.

Agree that there are better things you can see/do on this trip. Sedona definitely wins my vote over Lake Havasu. If you need a lake fix, concur with AZFan that Lake Powell is definitely more scenic, but also more out of the way and may be affected more noticeably by weather. Sedona and Lake Powell both warrant a couple of days ideally.

If choosing between the two becomes an issue, one possible way to "have your cake and eat it too" (or perhaps "have your lake and see it too?" .. ba dum BUM!) is to leave Grand Canyon South Rim via the East Rim/Desert View Drive, park your car at the Cameron Trading Post, and catch a tour leaving out of there at 9.00 AM. It would take you up to Page/Lake Powell where you would take a simple hike into Lower Antelope Canyon, have lunch, then take a short boat tour on the waterside of Antelope Canyon on Lake Powell. You'd get back to Cameron at about 3.30 PM, then could head down to Sedona from there, which is about a 90 minute drive. Info on the tour ->: http://bit.ly/12mV7Cd which is also weather-permitting.

Here's a map of the "modified' drive, including both Lake Powell and Sedona and putting Lake Havasu in before returning to Las Vegas. ->: http://goo.gl/maps/W24oB

Hope that helps - good luck!

P.S. Seligman is a good stop for the "old cars" too - the town was the basis for "Radiator Springs" from the first "Cars" movie.

saskatoon
Level Contributor
148 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!

Thanks everyone for your help!. We have cancelled hotel in Lake Havesu and rebooked at Sedona! Any other suggestiongs would be great.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,018 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help!

Hi,

So glad you changed your plans. It just seemed strange to me that you were going to just spend a morning at the Grand Canyon and 3 nights at Lake Havasu. I was bored after one night.

In Sedona sign up for the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour. Best time is to do it close after you arrive as it gives you a good overview of the area .My favorite places to take friends is the Chapel of the Holy Cross, Red Rock Crossing and Talaquepaque. There are tons of areas to hike also if you are into that.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help!

You are close to a good handful of State Parks and National Monuments. Pull out a map and see what may interest you.

Also nearby is Jerome, an abandoned mining community turned artist community.

Best advice is to stay and explore around Sedona.