We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel advice

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
travel advice

We are trying to plan a trip to the Canyon area and then move on through to finish in San Francisco. We are flying to Phoenix and doing an overnight at the airport hotel there. Next day, we plan driving up to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and doing an overnight at El Tovar ( we have booked that). We are going to spend most of the next day at the Canyon and then drive out to Tuba City for an overnight that is not too far away. Next morning, we want to go to Monument Valley, do a Navajo guided tour in the afternoon and then drive on to Page for an overnight, spend the morning there the next day and then we move on to Bryce for a couple of nights. Can I have any thoughts/alternatives on the proposed itinerary for this part of our trip

Many Thanks

Jurneyman

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,854 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel advice

Don't stay at Tuba City. Drive on to Monument Valley and stay at the View or Gouldings. Sunset and sunrise are the best times of day there.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,219 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel advice

Take an extra night at GCNP so you can spend enough time there. GCNP to MV is a little over 3 hours.

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel advice

Thanks for the feedback. I am a bit restricted in manoeuvrability because of bookings elsewhere. I expect to get to the Canyon early afternoon on 11th June as we will have flown into Phoenix from UK the day before (need an overnight for some shut-eye). We will not be doing a great deal of hiking so we could leave the South Rim mid afternoon on 12th June, enjoy the trip out and then go on to Monument Valley for the night. To be honest, it is a bit of a compromise and the overnight at Tuba City was the bit that we were least sure about. What are your views on an overnight at Page after Monument Valley with 2 nights at Bryce and another two at Zion before we head off through Death Valley to Yosemite?

Jurneyman

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel advice

I'd rather stay 2 nights in Page and 1 nights in Bryce. There''s lot do do in Page like Antelope Canyons, Glen Canyon Dam, Horseshoe Bend, Colorado River rfat, Lake Powell etc. 2nights at Zion are minimum. You''ll lose one hour between GC and Monument Valley, gain one hour between MV and Page and lose one hour between Page and Bryce for timedifferences.

On the way from Zion to Death Valley you''ll gain one hour.

Tet

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,854 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel advice

Agreeing that 2 nights at Page is better than 2 at Bryce. The only exception would be if you plan a horse or mule ride at Bryce.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,898 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel advice

Agree - plan 2 nights in Page and 1 night in Bryce, there's a lot to do/see in Page. Video ->: http://youtu.be/sgA2TWxGir0 Bryce is beautiful, don't get us wrong, but square mileage-wise, it's a relatively small park, so you can have a perfectly fulfilling visit there in 1 day. Then 2 nights at Zion, if you can't secure lodging in the park, try for Springdale on the West side of the park. That will put you less than 3 hours from Las Vegas.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel advice

We stopped for lunch in Tuba City on our way from GCNP this summer to Pagosa Springs, CO. I will recommend against even stopping for lunch, let alone spending the night. It wasn't a friendly place. No troubles, just did not feel welcome in the least.

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel advice

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to me. I can only get one night in grand Canyon but I have switched from Tuba City to The View. I am now gong from there to Page for 2 nights and then driving through Bryce Canyon to Panguitch to stay for a night before going on to Zion for 2 nights.

Thanks again

Jurneyman

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel advice

Are places to stay closer to Bryce sold out? I''d recommend to stay closer to Bryce instead Panguitch. Maybe try Ruby''s Inn, BW Grand, Bryce View Lodge or the Lodge inside the NP.

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel advice

Accommodation that was available in Bryce didn't really appeal so settled for a nice looking B&B