We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining in the GCNP

south western...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Dining in the GCNP

Hi

We will arrive at Bright Angel Lodge in the late afternoon, late January, for a two night stay. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to eat: breakfast, lunch and dinner in the park?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,090 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining in the GCNP

Best place to eat is at El Tovar. Their breakfasts are outstanding. Lunches and dinners are good, but after all it is still the park service. Dining at Bright Angel is convenient and decent. Keep your expectations low and you'll be pleased. For really basic refueling, there's a huge cafeteria at Maswick.

You can prebook dinner reservations at El Tovar. Everything else is FCFS.

south western...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining in the GCNP

Thanks RedRox. Do you think there is much of a need to make reservations in late January?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,090 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining in the GCNP

It's always a good idea to make dinner reservations at El Tovar. Otherwise, just be prepared to wait.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining in the GCNP

The restaurant at Bright Angel has perfectly fine breakfasts and lunches. The Arizona Room there is also a good choice for dinner. El Tovar is very good, as RedRox has indicated, but if your budget doesn't permit that Bright Angel is a good alternative. We were there most recently the last weekend in November and there was no wait at any of the Bright Angel dining options. We had reservations for one dinner at El Tovar; dining room was about half full during the time we were there. If you want to eat, I'd make the reservation to ensure no wait.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining in the GCNP

If you want to eat dinner at El Tovar, which I too highly recommend, advance reservations are strongly advised. Guests at other hotels are permitted to make them 30 days out, and suggest you do so right then. Call 928-638-2631 and ask for x6432

Edited: 31 December 2012, 21:03
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining in the GCNP

Bright Angel has standard breakfasts---eggs, toast, cereal, etc. El Tovar has reely great breakfasts with Southwestern flavors, different and really tasty. If you are a breakfast lover I highly recommend you give it a try. (We eat breakfast and dinner there every time we go, and I never tire of their food.)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,379 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining in the GCNP

Here is a link to the dining options at the South Rim including menus. grandcanyonlodges.com/Dining-Overview-420.ht…

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,446 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining in the GCNP

Both Maswik and Yavapai Lodges have huge cafeterias with a lot of variety for more budget conscious choices. Keep expectations low however.

south western...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining in the GCNP

Thanks everyone! I checked out the menus for El Tovar and the Arizona room thanks to the link provided. I am getting really excited for this trip!!

Question: Could we walk from El Tovar back to Bright Angel Lodge after dinner and a few drinks? Or will one of us need to be the DD?

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining in the GCNP

No problem walking from ET back to BA. Just get on the rim trail and follow it past Kachina and Thunderbird Lodges and you're there. Fortunately that path is lit, but be careful if it happens to be a cold night (which it's likely to be in January) and some ice remains on the trail. The staff is usually vigilant about putting cinders on the path, but just the same, wear shoes with at least a minimum of tread. El Tovar doesn't require that you dress up, so no need to trot out the heels.