We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current conditions: 89 or 64 to south rim?

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Current conditions: 89 or 64 to south rim?

Hi--

We're heading from Albuquerque to the Grand Canyon tomorrow morning (Jan 4). Anyone there and have input about whether it would be best to take 89 or 64 north? I see that roads at the GC were reported "snow-packed and icy" on the website, but I don't know how that translates to the highways. I have a small, light car without snow tires (I have chains, but if I have to use them, I'll just turn around...my winter skills are way too rusty).

Thanks!

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current conditions: 89 or 64 to south rim?

P. S. I know people said that 89 going up was interesting, but I'm worried about whether it's a good choice in this case :) Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current conditions: 89 or 64 to south rim?

You really need to contact the AZ. highway dept. carracar

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current conditions: 89 or 64 to south rim?

http://az511.com/adot/files/traffic/

This shows that 64 E/W Desert View is still closed with snow

Stay on 40 and pick up 64N by Williams

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current conditions: 89 or 64 to south rim?

I guess I'll call the park, because their website says "As of 10:30 am, Wednesday, January 2: Hwy 64 east between S. Entrance Road and Desert View, also known as Desert View Drive, has reopened to all traffic." Huh.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,950 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current conditions: 89 or 64 to south rim?

National Park Service has a weather and road conditions line with a recorded message, which is updated when conditions warrant 928-638-7888 I called it and the message did say "no road closures are in effect."

6. Re: Current conditions: 89 or 64 to south rim?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 02:17