We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

I will be in Vegas for a conference early May. I belatedly decided to look into lodging at GC south rim. Only rooms available within the park are Maswik North section and El Tovar terrace. I read here that the El Tovar is a nice place to stay, but not the terrace rooms, so I went ahead and reserved the Maswik -- 3 nights, two adults, no children. Anyone recommend that I change?

Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,181 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Maswik Lodge
Maswik Lodge
3,115 Reviews
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,641 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
575 Reviews
from US$276.99*
US$299.00
Small-Group Deluxe Grand Canyon Day...
644 Reviews
from US$179.29*
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,851 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

I always choose El Tovar, even if it's a terrace room. Terrace simply means lower level. I stayed in one on my very first visit to the GCNP many years ago. From my window I was literally at eye level with the ground outside. No biggie. Well, when I woke up in the morning and looked outside I was literally face to face with two elk who were grazing at the window! No more than 3 feet between us! That was probably the best view I've ever had from any window anywhere (except for the View Hotel at Monument Valley).

The advantage of El Tovar is that the rim is only a few steps from the hotel door. From Maswick you'll walk a good 1/4 mile across the main parking lots. Also, the best dining room in the park is just a few steps from your room. Can't beat that.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 01:55
Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,181 Reviews
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

The caveat about the Terrace rooms is that they are smaller, and the Terrace Double may be a tight fit for 2 people. terrace Queen should be fine, though. I agree with RedRox that it is nice to be so close to the canyon.

Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

Thanks for your speedy responses! Yes, I forgot to mention the other difference is 2 Q in Maswik versus only 1 D available at El Tovar.

Mentioned in this post
Maswik Lodge
Maswik Lodge
3,115 Reviews
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,181 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,851 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

If the two of you can sleep together in a double bed, I'd still choose El Tovar. The location can't be beat.

Other than sleeping and cleaning up, you aren't going to be in your room. Being close to the rim is the key.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 03:05
Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,181 Reviews
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

There's a big difference between a double bed and a queen. It wouldn't be worth it for me.

RD, did you try calling Xanterra? They sometimes have additional availability that's not on the website. It would be worth a call if you haven't done so. (888.297.2757)

Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

Yes, I had called and that was the available selection last night. Now I'm worried about arriving in the dark (around 10 pm). Will this be a problem at either/both places?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

There should be no problem arriving in the dark, all lodging is well signed. Keep trying for a bigger room in El Tovar. The cancellation policy is two days before or lose your deposit so rooms often become available two or three days in advance.

Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,181 Reviews
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

If I understand correctly, you have 3 nights, 2 full days and planning to leave Las Vegas 5pm-ish to arrive at the GC the first night? Many people will advise against driving after dark to the Park because of wandering wildlife. I personally haven't seen much wildlife along the roads to/from the Park (we see a lot more here in Michigan) but I also agree that it only takes that one unfortunate deer in the road to wreck a car. You will see a lot of deer in the park at dusk.

That said, I think it's worth considering waiting until morning to do the drive. Not much happens in the Park after dark anyway. You can enjoy the evening in Las Vegas then leave early in the morning. You'll still have two nights in the Park, so good opportunities to experience a sunset and sunrise at the rim.

It's good that you booked Maswik and you won't have any problems adjusting your stay to 2 nights. You can also check back with Xanterra for cancellations if you want to move to one of the rim lodges. The lodges book up well in advance but that also means lots of cancellations as you get closer to the travel date.

Mentioned in this post
Maswik Lodge
Maswik Lodge
3,115 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
63,851 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

I'm with DTF. There's little to be gained and big risks in driving and arriving in the darkness. Wait until the next day and drive alert, refreshed and in daylight.

PHOENIX
Level Contributor
13 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maswik North versus El Tovar terrace room

We recently stayed at Maswik north (first week Jan) with the winter rates which was very reasonable. the room was warm and clean over looking the railway tracks, a 5 min walk to the rim. I would stay there again as it was a short walk to the cafeteria style food hall and the bus stop. the roads were icy after dark when the temps drop, we arrived around 6p and this was in a prius with no problems.

Mentioned in this post
Maswik Lodge
Maswik Lodge
3,115 Reviews