We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to plan GC hiking

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Help to plan GC hiking

After months of planning…I’m little confused about my upcoming hiking trip to Grand Canyon and Havasupai in the first week of May. This is going to be my 4th trip to the canyons, but first time hiking. I don’t have “vast” hiking experience; the longest I’ve done is around 7-mile roundtrip in Arches N.P. along with many shorter day hikes. But I have time and a plan to prepare myself for Grand canyon.

Now, I have confirmed 2 night @BrightAngel and 1 night @IndianGarden campsites. And I don’t know if I shall club Havasupai in this trip as well, or not. Following are two options I was thinking of…

[1]

Mon: Hike down to Bright Angel campsite (via south Kaibab trail)

Tue: At Phantom Ranch

Wed: Hike up till Indian Garden, stay there a night

Thu: Hike up to the south rim

Fri: Page-AZ or Zion

Sat: Zion

Sun: Return flight from LAS

[2]

Mon: Hike down to Bright Angel campsite (via south Kaibab trail)

Tue: At Phantom Ranch

Wed: Hike up to the south rim (Night at South rim or Kingman?)

Thu: 2.5 or 4.5 Hr drive to Havasupai parking lot and start late afternoon hike down

Fri: Hike to the Colorado river (I know this one is tough…but I really wish I can do it.)

Sat: Hike up or Heli-ride

Sun: Return flight from LAS

Remember, I’ve been coming all the way from NJ ;-) And, this could be my last trip to this region. I have been to Page-AZ and Zion in my prior trips, so it’s not “Must see” for me. What do you advice from your experience? What things should I consider in either plan-1 or plan-2?

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help to plan GC hiking

Do you have reservations either at Supai Lodge or the campground near Havasu Falls? If you don't, you'll probably have a hard time getting them this late in the game. Visit this site for information about lodging reservations and/or camping permits ->: http://www.havasupai-nsn.gov/ And be prepared to be patient!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help to plan GC hiking

Do you already have reservations at Supai? If you don't, you might want to check if they're even available first. I don't know what their current policies are regarding reservations and deposits, but if it's not a big commitment, I'd make the reservations anyway while you decide.

I had a similar itinerary in 2011 -- about week out of Las Vegas and a 3-night GC hike. I spent the night before and after the hike at the South Rim, then had a day or two to kill before going home. I considered going to Page as well as Havasu Falls. Turned out that Havasu Falls didn't reopen (post-flood) until just after my trip, so that became a non-option. I ended up doing an overnight kayak on the Colorado River below Hoover Dam, in the Black Canyon. It turned out to be a perfect detour on the way back to Las Vegas. It was also nice to do something that didn't involve walking... ;)

I probably wouldn't shorten my GC hike to hike Havasu Falls, but that's me. GC time is too precious, imo. But, otherwise, I'd certainly consider doing Havasu Falls. I'd hike down to Beaver Falls but not the Colorado. You will have seen the Colorado at Phantom Ranch and that will really minimize your time at the falls.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,977 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help to plan GC hiking

You've received good advice regarding your destination options. I'm inclined to think that Page would be a better choice. Doubtful that you could get permits now anyway. Of more concern is your statement about lack of hiking experience. Hiking to the river and back from Havasu is more than double the distance of any hike you've ever done, and according to recent reports it requires a great deal bush whacking as there is no maintained trail. For you it could be a recipe for disaster.

I'll assume that you are training with a full pack and that you have and have tested all of your camping gear

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,922 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help to plan GC hiking

In a recent trip report or post, an individual who had been at Havasu encountered rangers who recommended against hiking past Beaver Falls. There is no help available. Reports say that there is no established trail. The Havasupai land ends somewhere after Beaver Falls, and the remainder of the distance to the river is a wild unpatrolled part of GCNP.

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help to plan GC hiking

@RedRox - Yaap, I'm gonna train with full pack. Thanks for your advices!

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help to plan GC hiking

It might be too hot for you to hike in the late afternoon down to Supai Village after hiking up the South Rim the day before and driving the next day to the parking lot. Might be too much. The hike to Supai is pretty but it gets boring after a while and if you get there that late in the day, you probably won't get a cool camping spot and it might be full by now actually. You really wanna take your time there and enjoy the falls.

The hike to the Colorado from the falls is a long one, as others have said. I just hiked to Beaver in October and the ranger there told us at 1pm that it was too late to hike to the river and back and YES LOT'S OF BUSHWACKING! Even just to get to Beaver actually.

7. Re: Help to plan GC hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 06:19