We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rentals for poles and yaktrax

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Rentals for poles and yaktrax

We are hiking to Phantom Ranch (down SK and up BA), and would like to rent some hiking poles and crampons or yaktrax. I know the poles rent for about $2.00 per day. Do all of the GCNP stores rent these?? Should I be calling ahead to reserve??

Also...what is the difference between yaktrax and crampons? We are just looking for something lightweight to use at the tops of the trails if they happen to be icy. Can these also be rented at GCNP? Any idea of the cost to rent these per day?

Thanks for any insight!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,975 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rentals for poles and yaktrax

You can rent them at the Marketplace at Yavapai. They often run out of inventory so be there early or in the evening when others are returning theirs. My advice would be to buy a pair of collapsable poles and use them as you train. Then just pack them and bring them with you.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rentals for poles and yaktrax

We looked into buying them, but they cost about $125.00 per pair here, so for 4 people, it becomes quite costly.

We will be staying the night before at the park, so we'll head to The Marketplace as you suggest, to get the them then. Do you know if they also rent the yaktrax?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rentals for poles and yaktrax

There are much less expensive hiking poles available, either in sporting goods stores or discount stores like Walmart, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc., or via online and shipped to your home. They're also available for purchase at the Market in the Park; they carry Black Diamonds.

"Yaktrax" is the brand name for traction devices. They are much lighter-duty than crampons, don't have the spikes that crampons have. Sort of like mini-chains for your boots. You don't want crampons in the Canyon -- the spikes get stuck between the rocks. There are other brands other than Yaktrax, like Microspikes:

mec.ca/AST/…TractionDevices.jsp

Btw, MEC is a good store in Canada for hiking gear. I also saw traction devices at the Grand Canyon Market... I'm pretty sure they were Microspikes, but I'm not 100% certain. One advantage of waiting to buy them at the Canyon is that you can make the purchase decision at the last minute but, of course, there's no guarantee that they'll have the sizes and quantity that you need.

Renting at the Market's certainly an option. I haven't heard of them running out of pole rentals but you can give them a call about reserving them. (928) 638-2262. I don't remember seeing any traction devices on their rental list but, again, you should ask.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 15:17
Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rentals for poles and yaktrax

When are you going? I'm not sure what the rent in the stores, but I much prefer Microspikes to Yaktrax.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rentals for poles and yaktrax

We don't have a MEC anywhere around here. There may be one in Toronto, but that's over 4 hours away, and we will be driving through there (on our way to Buffalo) after store closing, so that won't work. (unless we buy online).

I have checked all of our local sporting good stores, and the prices are about $125.00 per pair for the poles. Walmart doesn't have any, we have no Target, etc. We did see them one place (Princess Auto) for about $10.00 per pole, but they were VERY flimsy.

I think we will wait until we get there and see what we need according to the weather. Hopefully they will have what we need.

Thanks everyone!!

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rentals for poles and yaktrax

If you can get ice grippers called "Stabilicers", then do so. I think they are made in Canada. They're about $19-20.

We swear by them. DH and I walk every day, rain, hail, snow or ice. Stabilicers stay on our shoes ALL winter. Much better than Yaktrax.

Giddyup

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
380 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rentals for poles and yaktrax

I bought a pair of poles at Wal-Mart for around $25 for the pair. So far they seem to be holding up fine. They collapse down so they fit in my luggage just fine. Depending on where you're flying into you could check a local Wal-Mart when you get there. There's several around Phoenix and Las Vegas. You'll want to go to a Wal-Mart Super Center as they have a much larger selection of gear. There's a smaller Wal-Mart in Flagstaff that we went to but I didn't check their selection of outdoor gear. Its just off the highway at the junction of the I-40 and I-17.

Someone later told us there is also a Wal-Mart Super Center in Flagstaff but I'm not sure of the location of that one. Maybe someone else on the board can help?

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rentals for poles and yaktrax

I suggest calling the Market Plaza general store, ask for the camping section, and see if they will hold a pair of poles for you. (928) 638-2262 Better to have a good pair of rented poles than a cheap pair you buy and bring. They are tough to carry on the plane (generally must go as checked baggage). Also, I am a small lightweight person and I have managed to break cheap poles on two occasions---right when I needed them most. Fortunately I wasn't hurt, but now I will only hike with my "good" poles.

As for crampons, I believe they used to have instep crampons at the store but may have stopped carrying or renting them. (You could ask when you call about the ppoles). They are good if you can find them. Otherwise, microspikes or StabilIcers (my favorite) are better than YakTrax. I have had those pulled off my boot in heavy snow, never to be seen again. Plus the spikes (or instep crampons) will give you better traction. Whatever you choose, be sure and remove them once you are past the snow part.

If you can't find traction devices for your boots, I wouldn't worry. I find poles more important as a stability enhancer when hiking in snow and ice anyway; learn to edge with your heel if it seems icy or crusty.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rentals for poles and yaktrax

Enzian... as suggested, I called The Marketplace (thanks for the number).

The camping department said they never run out of poles, especially in March, and that there is no need to reserve ahead of time. The cost is $4.00 per set per day...we will likely get 2 sets for the 4 of us, but we'll decide once we are there.

As for shoe traction, they do not rent them, but sell several varieties. Starting at $14.00 per pair for light duty up to heavy duty spikes at much more $$ (I forget already...I tuned that one out).

I think we will wait to see how the weather is, then if we feel we need them we can buy some there.

We walked down to Ooh Ahh Point last February, and it was snowy/icy for the top bit. We only had on regular running shoes, and we were fine. There was enough sand and mule droppings (yuk) to keep the trail from being slippery. We also took our time and stayed against the inside of the trail.

You are all so helpful. We have planned and read and planned some for for almost a year now...but now we are getting close to crunch time. We leave in just a few weeks.

We were all gung ho and super confident about our trek to PR when I booked it almost a year ago. We bought the trail shoes, proper day packs with water packs, trained, etc. But now I am starting to get worried. Can we really do this...hike all the way into the canyon...and harder yet, hike all the way out??? Did we bite off more than we can chew??? I think I am starting to get cold feet!!!

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rentals for poles and yaktrax

If you have trained, have normal fitness levels, and no health/joint issues, then YES you can do it. Take your time on th eway back up if you need to; Be sure and carry flashlights just in case, plus extra water, etc. It is such a beautiful place and a special experience to be at the bottom of the canyon. And the hike back up is interesting every step of the way. You will be so glad you did it.