We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ElTovar suites

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
ElTovar suites

I'm booked in the MaryJane Coulter suite at the end of August. Is it really worth the cost per night?

Bright Angel Lodge
Bright Angel Lodge
#1 of 1 B&Bs / Inns in Grand Canyon National Park
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 hotels in Grand Canyon National Park
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
#2 of 3 hotels in Grand Canyon National Park
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,283 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ElTovar suites

I think it is, but then you have to decide for yourself if you want to pay that.

After staying in El Tovar in November, after having stayed in almost every other place at the GC through the years, I would definitely opt to stay again, but I like my creature comforts when available.

Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,177 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,775 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ElTovar suites

The suites are special, but in the total scheme of things, it's a place to sleep while you're visiting the Grand Canyon.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ElTovar suites

We stayed in the Paul Harvey suite at El Tovar. It was amazing. Do not expect it to compare to a suite in a five star hotel. Our suite overlooked the Grand Canyon and had a large balcony we could eat on and admire the canyon - views from both the suite and the deck. We loved that experience of being able to order room service and have a private dinner in such a beautiful setting. If having a nice place is important to you, then yes it is worth the money. If you are having to stretch your budget to stay there, then you could get just as much enjoyment getting up early and walking over to the rim spending as much of the day as possible near the canyon.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 21:23
Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,177 Reviews
Inman, SC
Level Contributor
24 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ElTovar suites

What would your suggestion be if one cannot spring for a suite.? A regular room at El TOvar or one of the other inns?

Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,177 Reviews
Inman, SC
Level Contributor
24 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ElTovar suites

If one cannot spring for a suite, what would your advice be - a regular room at El Tovar (no view) or a room at one of the other lodges?

Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,177 Reviews
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ElTovar suites

Hurrijane,

I personally would book another room at one of the other lodges!!

SJG

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
24 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ElTovar suites

Thanks. There is a partial view room at the thunderbird. What do you think of that lodge?

Also, is a sunset dinner at El TOvar a good choice?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,177 Reviews
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ElTovar suites

Loved Thunderbird! Don't get caught up in the "room with a view" thing!! None of the rooms on the rim look down into the Canyon, you'll have to get out of your room for that!!

If you want to see sunset...again be outside!! You will not get the full effect of the beauty sitting inside!! The El Tovar restaurant is a good choice but does require dinner reservations!

SJG

Mentioned in this post
Thunderbird Lodge
Thunderbird Lodge
809 Reviews
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,177 Reviews
Inman, SC
Level Contributor
24 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ElTovar suites

I read that parking at Thunderbird is an issue. We will be on a motorcycle. Is the El Tovar's parking situation better?

Mentioned in this post
Thunderbird Lodge
Thunderbird Lodge
809 Reviews
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,775 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ElTovar suites

Hurrijane, please read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. You'll find answers and opinions about lodging at the GCNP. The bottom line is that it really doesn't matter as long as you stay inside the park. Don't expect a view from your room. If you have one, it will be partial at best, but no room will give you a view into the canyon. That is by design. You will walk outside and see the Grand Canyon. You memories of the GC will not include anything that you see through a pane of glass.

You'll also discover that GCNP rooms book up as much as a year in advance and that taking time to ask about which rooms are preferred usually results in losing the better options.

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...