We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

We are planning this trip in April or May. Fly into Las Vegas and do 1 week in GC, Page, Zion and then 1 week in Hawaii. Are we cramming too much into 2 weeks? We have done Highway1 and Yosemite. Any suggestions on itineraries? thanks

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

I do not think that is too much if you book direct flights to minimize travel time. BAfight on-stop flights to Las Vegas from both Heathrow and Gatwick. At Las Vegas, you are only 2.5 hours from Zion and 4.5 to 5 hours from the Grand Canyon ( only the South Rim will be open unless you go after May 15).

You can do a nice loop trip with two nights each at GCNP, Page, and Zion. The toughest part will be booking a room at Grand Canyon. Look for rooms inside the park at one of the six lodges at www.grandcanyonlodges.com. If nothing appears on the website, give them a call. Often there are rooms available that do not appear on the website. If you can be flexible on you dates it will help,,so do not book your flight until you secure a room at Grand Canyon. Mthe other places will be relatively easy.

At least two airlines, Hawaiian and Allegiant Air, have direct flights from Las Vegas to Honolulu. Dependingg on the time of your flight,,you may need to spend a night in Las Vegas, but if you can find an afternoon flight you can make that from Zion.

Questions on what to see or where to stay in Hawaii should be addressed to that board. But with only a week, I would limit my stay to one island. For a week stay, booking a condo is often more reasonable than a hotel. You could also checkmHawaiian Air for flight+ hotel packages.

Sounds like a great trip---

Edited: 24 January 2013, 14:26
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

You may do Zion, Page and GC in one week but how about visiting Bryce, Monument Valley and Sedona? That will take longer than one week. 2 nights Zion, 2 nights Page and 2 nights GC already are recommended. Is your Hawaii visit set in stone? There''re so many places to visit on a Grand Circle trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

thank you both. I will chk lodging at GC first. Tet14, Hawaii is not set in stone at all. We hear its a really beautiful place and certainly worth a visit. On top of that we would like some relaxation time at the beach in our trip cause all the driving and hiking can make a trip hectic. hence we thought we'll split our trip.

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

No wonder that both places (Grand Canyon & Hawaii) are totally unique and really beautiful. Yes, you can do 1-week loop around Grand Canyons. I have few questions, that would help you to plan your trip around GC.

- Is it your first time in Vegas? If not, How much time you really want to spend in Vegas?

- Are you planning to do any hiking? How long (half-day of full-day hike)?

About Hawaii, I agree with Enzian for 1-week = 1-island rule ;-) But then, do you really want to go to Hawaii just for 1 week? I mean, you could have good relaxed time around San-diego or down in baja-Mexico or cancun - and have few more days in the canyons. And next time, go to just hawaii for 2 or more weeks.

Getting in-park lodging at Grand Canyon should be a priority for you now. Once you decide your rough plan, we can suggest what to see, where to stay and how many days per location is good around canyons...

No matter how long you visit or where you visit around canyons - You're going to have awesome time!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

If I had two weeks, I would choose AZ and UT parks around the GCNP or I would choose Hawaii and include 2-4 islands.

Doing both GC and HI in two weeks is possible but not ideal IMO.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

Some more info for a Grand Circle trip:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

I agree with RedRox, pick EITHER the Grand Circle (UT/AZ) OR Hawaii. Trying to do a 2 week trip to cover both will leave you feeling rushed and exhausted. Dedicating the entire 2 weeks to either location would make for a very nice trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

We have both been to Vegas, so no interest there. We want to do hikes..so maybe a full day hike, maybe more.

West Long Branch...
Level Contributor
171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

You can easily do both - it all depends on what you like and your preferences.

North Brunswick...
Level Contributor
78 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon and Hawaii 2 week itinerary?

ok, so if you want to visit Grand Canyons, do some full-day hike and also want to have some time to relax - I would advice to save Hawaii for other trip. Check out Havasupai near grand canyons. The water there is just like Hawaii - but no ocean ;-) If you can manage lodge reservation, its a good option in addition to grand canyon.

Basically, now you should focus on how to spend 2 weeks in-n-around grand canyon in relaxing mode. Again, first get a reservation in Grand Canyon lodge reservation, and plan your trip around. I would suggest at least 2 nights there.

Usually, people visit Zion N.P, Bryce N.P, Page(AZ), Monument Valley & Grand Canyon N.P. You may add Havasupai or remove something.