We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One or two nights?

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
One or two nights?

Hi,

we will drive from Vegas to Grand Canyon South rim (end of mars). Question is if we should stay one or two nights. We have never been to the GC before. Are not very interested in doing tours because we prefer to drive be ourself. Maybe two nights are two too long, after one sunset and sunrise you might have seen it all??? Please help me decide om this one.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,857 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One or two nights?

If you are not serious hikers then I would suggest one night. So glad you have opted for driving yourself and staying overnight. You will get the most from the park this way. Do stay inside the park. Get your reservations ASAP. You didn't say when you were going but rooms fill up fast.

Those of us familiar with the park recommend entering one entrance and exiting the other. If you enter from 64 via Williams, then exit 64E via Cameron. Recommend Cameron Trading Post for a Navajo Taco. The east rim has wonderful lookouts. Our favorite is Desert Watchtower which will be either your first or last view of the GC, and Lipan and Grandview Point. You can stop at as many as you want to.

The rim trail is a nice level trail along the rim, which is great for most non-serious hikers. You may also take a short hike down one of the trails a short distance just to experience the canyon from below the rim.

Seriously recommend at least one meal in El Tovar. Breakfast is awesome and no reservations needed. For dinner you do need reservations. The Arizona Room is our 2nd favorite restaurant there.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One or two nights?

You also easily can stay 2 nights. Leaving GC by its east entrance back to Vegas takes 2 extra hours without stops. Are you driving back to Vegas after your GC visit? How about an extra night for Sedona?.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One or two nights?

Wow great advice for driving and restaurants, thanks a lot.

Thelrose, can we do all that in just one day (24 hours)? Is the rim trail safe? I´m a little afraid of heights...

Tet 14 Yes, we are driving back to Vegas after GC. Why is Sedona worth a visit?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One or two nights?

www.visitsedona.com

Maybe one night GC and one night Sedona but longer will be better. You can drive east of GC Village to Desert View to Cameron, Wupatki and Sunset Crater before Sedona.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,857 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One or two nights?

I am afraid of heights also but you forget about it when you are there. The rim trail is very safe and there are railings at most of the viewpoints. I started down the trail that the mules use one time and had to go back as it was too scary. I have not been scared up on the rim trail or at any of the view points.

south western...
Level Contributor
994 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One or two nights?

I recommend two nights. We stayed two and I am so glad we did because the weather is so changeable. When we arrived we couldn't even see the canyon - it was totally fogged in. So if that happens on your one night you will be very disappointed. Plus, it's a long drive for only one night. Cut a day in Las Vegas and stay longer at the Canyon - that's my advice!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One or two nights?

I also recommend two nights. There is so much to do and see and explore, so many viewpoints to go to without every resorting to any 'real' hiking. Don't forget that this will give you just one full day at the GCNP. you can then devote days 1 and three to the myriad sights along the way, as listed above, such as Cameron, Wupatki and Sunset Crater, maybe even Walnut canyon and a stop at Seligman off I-40 west of Williams. With your short time I wouldn't try to add an additional - just give the GC two nights and take in some of the sights on the way there and back.

Book the GC ASAP, at an in-park lodge. Failing that, Tusayan right outside the south gate is your second best choice.

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One or two nights?

2 nights at the GC..especially first time..1 would do no justice at all.

I too am scared of heights but I think you can hike part of the Bright Angel trail no problems at all. No sheer drop-offs here. I had no problems hiking down to the 3 mile rest-house and back. Maybe just go down about a mile or so to get the true feeling of the Canyon.Definitely stay 2 nights....and do the short hike..

Grand Canyon Breathtaking......

Edited: 04 February 2013, 18:39
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One or two nights?

Soo many great advice, thank you thank you all so much. Rim trail seems safe, I going for that one.

I didn´t think about the weather (going late march) would be to bad to drive all the way and not be able to see anything....

For hotels I have a hard time to find anything really close (and not over 200 usd) but Tusayan seems pretty close so...

(Any charges for entering the GC/trails etc?

Edited: 04 February 2013, 20:09
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,222 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One or two nights?

Entrance fee to the Grand Canyon National Park is $25 per car and its occupants:

www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/index.htm

For hotels, I would urge you to stay inside the Park in one of its lodges. I think only El Tovar has rates above US$200. I personally think any room in the Park is preferable to staying in Tusayan. All of the lodges are managed by Xanterra and can be reserved online at www.grandcanyonlodges.com.