We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

California
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

The Hit The Trail site stated that there was a "geologic event" on this stretch of hwy 89. The road "broke and shifted", unknown when it will reopen. Photos on this site show how much damage was done.

" We had an exciting even occur on the highway that takes you from Flagstaff/South Rim to Lake Powell/Page and at the junction to the North Rim (Hwy 89 and 89A)! 150 of roadway shifted, broke and settled leaving it impassable yesterday morning. They are saying it was a geologic event! Wow! You've got to check these photos out. Amazing!!! They don't know when the road will be fixed and reopened, but it is obvious that it will be quite some time! Road collapse closes Highway 89 south of Page azdailysun."

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,778 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

Detour route from GCNP south rim to Page will be via 160 through Tuba City to 98 back west to Page.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,693 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

Yes, and you can find more photos of the collapse on the web. I think there may be some on RedRox's thread titled "Page Alert". It looks pretty amazing. Glad no one was hurt.

Toronto
Level Contributor
60 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

So does this mean I won't be able to get to the Navajo Bridge and Marble Canyon from Page other than the great detour through Kaibab? I'll be visiting in April but these road collapses take a long time to fix.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,778 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

Rarecat, your plan will be severely impacted. The route you had planned would have taken about an hour. Now the detour to the south will require about 3 hours. The northern detour via Kanab will be closer to 4 hours. You might want to make alternate plans.

There's no way this repair will be complete in April

Edited: 23 February 2013, 18:10
chicago
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

We're travelling from Grand Canyon to Page,AZ and we already have advanced purchase reservation at Holiday Inn.What time should we leave Grand Canyon to get to Page safely? Are we still able to visit Horse Shoe Bend and Antelope Canyons?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,778 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

You need to allow a good 4 hours to get from GCNP to Page now.

Antelope Canyons and Horseshoe Bend Overlook are still accessible.

chicago
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

Thank you very much for the advice.

I just checked google maps for directions to Horseshoe Bend but it stated "This route may have road closures"...hopefully it's still accessible. I'm so glad that we can still visit Antelope canyons.

Is there any place worth visiting along detour 160 ?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,778 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

Horseshoe Bend will be accessible from Page. This has been confirmed. 89 will be closed from there to the south.

There are a few attractions from 160 to dinosaur tracks and scenic canyons, but they will add hours to the trip and many will require a private native guide. This is Navajo Reservation territory.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

The detour is on good 65mph roads so without stops it won't take 4 hours but better take time for the views on your way.

chicago
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Closure: Hwy 89 south of Page

Thank you very much...at least my trip plan didn't change much...just the road & travel time :)

Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...