We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is bus tour from strip to south rim Grand Canyon worth it?

Florence In
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is bus tour from strip to south rim Grand Canyon worth it?

If we take a bus trip to Grand Canyon South Rim it would only be a day trip. Have never been there. I see it's a long trip and just wondering if it's worth a 14 hour day. Would really like to see it but I'm not big on being on a bus forever but my husband doesn't want to drive it. We would just like to get off the strip for a day. Took the bus to Laughlin last year and it seemed like a waste of a day. Don't want that to happen again. Does anyone know how Grand Canyon Tour Co is?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,386 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is bus tour from strip to south rim Grand Canyon worth it?

Grand Canyon Tour Company is fine. It is a long trip by bus, 5 hours each way, and you will only have 3 hours to see a few overlooks at the canyon. It would be a much better experience to drive there and stay overnight.

Florence In
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is bus tour from strip to south rim Grand Canyon worth it?

Thanks for your reply. We felt it would be easier on a bus because they know where they're going and all the ins and outs but I'm not excited about being on a bus that long. Are there any places somewhat closer that would be worth seeing off the strip just to get us out of town for a day?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,386 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is bus tour from strip to south rim Grand Canyon worth it?

Red Rock Canyon State Park, Mt Charleston and Valley of Fire SP are close to Las Vegas. Ask your question in the Las Vegas forum for more possibilities.

As far as driving to GCNP, it is very straightforward and easy to follow. In the park, bus tours go to the closest overlooks. Drive yourself, and you'll see lots more. There are no "ins and outs" ..... you get all the information needed on entry to the park.

Edited: 22 February 2013, 19:38
conn
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is bus tour from strip to south rim Grand Canyon worth it?

makes a nice break from gambling in LV

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,081 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is bus tour from strip to south rim Grand Canyon worth it?

The route and drive couldn't be simpler. You really can and should drive it yourselves. Don't even think about comparing the Grand Canyon to Laughlin. If you go on a tour it will be as Bob described. You'll wish you had driven and booked an overnight stay.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is bus tour from strip to south rim Grand Canyon worth it?

I've been asked this sort of question a couple of times by friends in the UK. My advice has been that if you want a day's sightseeing and you're not prepared to spend a night away from LV, rent a car, set off as early as you can, come back as late as you can - and go to Zion.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is bus tour from strip to south rim Grand Canyon worth it?

http://www.grandcanyontours.com/bussouth.html

My neighbor just took this. She and her twin sister went to Vegas for 6 days to celebrate their birthday - just the gals. They are currently having a sale for $79.99 and they loved it. They took it the day after arriving from Philly and they said it helped them with jet lag since they woke up early the first day. While they would have preferred to have spent a longer time there, both felt they would not get back there and at least got to see it. They felt the tour guide was very helpful in explaining so much that they otherwise would not know. If you purchase this trip at this sale price I think you have 6 months to use it.

She said they made a stop in Williams at the Grand Canyon RR for lunch and then on the way back they stopped in Kingman for something to eat. Since your hubby isn't interested in driving, this may be an option for you. But be aware, you will wish you had more time.

8. Re: Is bus tour from strip to south rim Grand Canyon worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 06:16