We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

Skalica
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

Hi,

I am planing a trip into the Grand Canyon. I like to go into the Canyon using "South Kaibab Trail" and then go back using "Bright Angel Trail".

I am 25 years old, but not hiker. I will go there in May 2013. Is possible to do this trip in one day?

If not, what are the possibilities of sleeping down there in "Bright Angel Campground"? I will have no tent. But I can obtain sleeping bag.

If also not, what are other possibilities of making easier trip, but still have good views on the Canyon.

Thank you.

97 replies to this topic
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

This is a very strenuous hike and what you are proposing to do is not recommend in one day! You are looking at a 17 mile hike with the hardest part coming the last 4 miles uphill when you are already tired!!

To "sleep" at Bright Angel Campground you will need a backcountry permit! No one can camp below the rim without one! You can look here for more info on the backcountry permit: nps.gov/grca/…backcountry-permit.htm

Without a tent or some form of cover/shelter you will be exposed to the elements.

For your first time visit you may want to book a room inside the park for a night or two and just do some day hikes!

Read the "top questions" on the right hand side of this page for more information!!

SJG

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

You have stated that you are not a hiker. Therefore my advice is that you do NOT attempt to hike to the river and back under any circumstances. Book lodging on the rim and do a day hike just a short distance below the rim and then back up. Spend more time touring the rim view points. You'll see much more of the Grand Canyon by going horizontally than vertically.

Save a hike to the bottom for your next trip to the GCNP. Plan it well in advance. You'll need to apply for that camping permit 4 months in advance. Understand that even then it's like a lottery and there are no guarantees that you'll win one then. But at the very least you'll have time to train and become a hiker.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,709 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

Hello, if you are not a hiker, meaning you do not regularly walk in the mountains with elevation gain and loss of more than 1200 meters, you must not consider the hike to the bottom of the canyon. You can stay at one of the four the hotels on the rim, and take a shorter walk down into the canyon, an hour or two, and not endanger yourself. It is really beautiful no matter what you do.

Skalica
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

Thank you all. You right, I am taking your advices.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

You can go down S. Kaibab to as far as Cedar Point and then back. That's a 3-mile round trip and the views are absolutely awesome. I would NOT go any further if you're 'not a hiker' !!!

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

Well, I did same route on 7/5/13. It took for 10 hrs include 1.5hrs break at Colorado river. I went down at 10:45 am and reached the river at 1:15 pm. I took a break until 2:15 pm and crossed river and headed toward Bright Angel Trail. I also took a break for 30mins at entrance of Bright Angel Trail. Finally, I arrived at Bright Angel Trailhead top at 9:15 pm.

Temperature was very high(it was almost 110F), but I made a success for one day hike.

Maybe you can do it. However, you should prepare lots of water, salty food, etc. Good luck!

Edited: 28 July 2013, 05:06
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,594 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

Are you demonstrating you may be brain dead as a result ??? This thread has bee dormant for months now ... carracar

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

Oooh, that's a bit strong ... but yeah, the OP went to the GCNP back in May.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

I hate to bump this thread and keep it at the top BUT I really want to address Seungin's post (#6).

To be blunt, starting a hike down South Kaibab in those conditions at 10:45 AM and then bragging about "success" and offering advice about how one should be prepared is bordering on irresponsible. I don't know if the poster is aware that another hiker died on the South Kaibab trail in similar high-temperature conditions just a few days prior.

It is amazingly easy for the unexpected to happen on the trail, even when you're well prepared, so please don't start off with really STUPID plans; leaving yourself without a margin for error can mean catastrophic outcomes. And, yes, I'm unequivocally saying that heading down SK in July in mid-day is simply stupid.

California
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?

Yep, couldn't agree more. My first hike to PR via SK was in July about 8 years ago. I was on the trail by 4:30 am, and I was feeling bad about a half hour before the Black Bridge. I had heat sroke type symptoms. When I got to Phantom, I just layed in Bright Angel Creek for some time; this was around 10:30 in the AM. I started feeling better in the afternoon and was able to eat the steak dinner. I was drinking lots of water, eating salty snacks and still almost got into trouble. The heat in the summertime can be a killer.

Reply to: from South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Trail in one day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted