We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

Jackson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

We are planning our trip to the GC at the end of June '13. We want to stay somewhere that is central to CG and to be able to go to Tuzigoot and other great attractions. Looking at Willams, AZ, but I would like your opinions on other towns / cities. We want to get a larger room with 1 Queen and pull out sofa (teenager ..). Budget is $140 to $170 /night. Any suggestions regarding Flagstaff or Sedona instead ?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,396 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

Williams is just over an hour from GCNP. Flagstaff is 90 minutes and Sedona is 2 hours. It is better to stay at the GCNP or Tusayan for GCNP. Sedona is a great base for everything else. How much time will you have? I'll bet that there are other things you'll enter to see besides Tuzigoot?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

If you are set on stying in one place I'''d pick Flagstaff but I agree with RedRox that relocationg between GC and Sedona will be best. In Flag check out Little America hotel.

Jackson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

We are planning on spending 4 nights. We definitely are going to explore more than Tuzigoot (not sure yet ... still planning ...) .. I will check into your suggestions today. I forgot to say that we are flying back from Vegas on Sunday 6/30, so we still have another day + to stay closer to Vegas (trying to avoid the city).

Maybe 2 nights GC area ad 2 nights Sedona .... Thanks for the input. Please feel free to add if you have another suggestions.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

You easily can drive from Sedona or GC to LV in one day (app 5 hours drives). We sometimes stay Henderson (Hilton Garden Inn) if we want to avoid Las Vegas. Also close to the a/p. If you split your time between GC and Sedona I suggest to enter GC by its south entrance and leave GC by its east entrance on the way to Sedona. Cameron Trading Post, Wupatki, Sunset Crater Volcano and Walnut Canyon all are places worth a visit and take az89a between Flagstaff and Sedona via Oak Creek Canyon.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,396 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

1 night at GCNP and 3 nights at Sedona will be a better split on your time.

Florida
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

STS9292--My Family (4-adults &2 teenagers) and I will be in the Sedona area Mid-June. We found a place to stay for a week, VRBO in Cornville, about 12 miles S. of Sedona. About $135 a night for a 3 bedroom house, deck, garage, back yard, grill, complete with all cookware, linens, etc. Near our location is Cottonwood which has a Wal-Mart there for groceries, and what you may be needing. I saw that your budget was $140 a night. So wanted to pass on to you. I have been in this area a 1/2 dozen times, Jerome is to see, GCNP is beautiful, The Verde Railroad was great. I took the back road from Williams to Jerome and that was a nice road trip. So we will do the Sedona area, then GCNP, Montezuma, Cliff Dwellers, and more to see and do. Stop at the Sedona COC or Sedona Activity Center. Plus there is things to see and do in Flagstaff. I'm sure our 7 days there will not be enough. Happy Travels.

RT

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

I have just been given the suggestion of staying on the East side of the GCNP and entering there. We are staying at Las Posadas of Sedona at the end of the GCNP trip, and they suggested that entrance and staying up at the north rim since I am not having luck finding any room for a family of 5 near or in the park. Is this wise...She mentioned coming up from Tempe (we will be at ASU college drop off) on 89 or 89A to 64 to the East Rim Road entrance? Less crowded?...Thank you for tips for entering on the east, and staying in Cameron or nearby. Very perplexed. Last time in GC was 1969! It has changed..you used to drive up to the side and park and get out and look over as I remember it as a teen :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,396 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

The north rim is a 5 hour drive from the south rim. Read the Top Questions on the right side of this page to get some information and bearings.

I often advise entering the park at the south rim via the east gate at Desert View. The closest place to stay from that gate would be about a 45 minute drive to Cameron Trading Post. Better options would be inside the park or at Tusayan, just outside the main park gate on 64. Call Xanterra for most up to date room inventory. Cancelations do happen, but they rarely get posted on the website. 888-297-2757.

It's the same GCNP you visited in 1969. Only the parking lots have changed.

Jackson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

Progress .... Got a reservation @ hotel in Tusayan (BEST WESTERN PREMIER Grand Canyon Squire Inn), so let's see how that goes. Now looking at Sedona. I think that is what we want to do. Thanks for all the suggestions !!

Jackson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in Williams, Flagstaff or Sedona central to GC

OK ... on my last leg of the trip .... after Sonoma we will travel to be close to Vegas and stay the night. Our flight leaves from Vegas @ 1:30PM so we want to stay close, but not to close to the city. I am looking at Boulder city since we want to go to Hoover Dam. Suggestions are welcome.