We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best view points?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Best view points?

Going to south rim for night in June. Can anyone recommend the must see view points please? Which are best at sunset & sunrise? Thanks for your help

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best view points?

I don't think there are any "best" viewpoints. All have their own unique view. If you ask at the lodges, they will probably tell you Mather for sunrise and Hopi for sunset. But all that does is assure you that there will be hordes of people at those viewpoints.

My favorite "first look" at the GC is at Desert View.

I like Yaki Point for sunrise because you can't drive you car to the point. You have to either take the shuttle or park along the east rim drive and walk out to the point -- around 3/4 mile. Whenever I go there for sunrise, there are fewer than 5 other people there.

For sunset, I like to walk along the rim trail east from the lodges with a glass of wine and just find a nice place to sit and watch the canyon as the sun sets.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best view points?

I agree with Mike, except that we have a few different favorite spots for sunrise and sunset. But it's not that hard to find an uncrowded spot along the Rim. Sometimes we head west from the lodges for sunrise. The point is not to find the "best" spot, but to find an uncrowded one, and be there early for both sunrise and sunset. Google "sunrise sunset Grand Canyon" for times.

Also, do read the Top Questions for the GC, on the right side of the forum page. YOu can also find lots of great info on the park website:

www.nps.gov/grca

Edited: 16 April 2013, 23:47
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best view points?

There are about 20 named viewpoints along the rim between Hermit Rest and Desert View at the South Rim.

The western viewpoints along Hermit Road can be accessed via shuttle only; catch the shuttle at the transfer station in the Village, near Bright Angel lodge. Shuttle routes and schedules are found in the park newpaper (visitors' guide); they will give you a copy at the entrance as you enter the park. It is also available on the park website. Hard to pick the "best". There a really nice view of the Colorado River from Pima Point. Hopi is popular (and often crowded) for sunset. At Monument Creek vista, you can see right down Monument canyon to Granite Rapids.

nps.gov/grca/…2013SRspring_guidemap.pdf

The viewpoints to the east of the Village are accessed via Desert View Road which is open to private vehicles. The only exception is Yaki Point, which is accessed by shuttle only. My favorites are Grandview and Lipan. Yavapai was nice for sunrise and the Geology Museum is there as well. Desert View is worth a stop to visit the Watchtower. There are great views of the river and the Unkar delta at the far eastern points - Lipan, Moran, Navajo. The Canyon is more open at this end of the park, which makes for wider views of the Colorado River.

nps.gov/grca/…desert-view.pdf

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best view points?

I am also partial to Grandview and Lipan Points. These are situated on the East Rim/Desert View Drive and open to private vehicles. I like them because you can see all the way down to the river, plus due to the distance from the Village (Grandview ~5 miles East, Lipan ~ 22 miles East) they are less crowded. Forward to the 1:08 mark on this video to see what Grandview looks like ->: http://youtu.be/pCHHQVT5BNg The video talks about a jeep tour that goes out of Tusayan, but again, you can drive to all the viewpoints (except for Yaki) on the East Rim drive with your own car.

Just be careful driving back to the Village after the sun goes down - deer and elk like to graze beside the road at night.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best view points?

My favorite is Lipan. But there are no 'best' viewpoints. The moe important thing is the amount of time that you give to the Grand Canyon. Don't rush from place to place just to compare or find the best. You'd be better off just sitting down in one spot and staying there all day.

6. Re: Best view points?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 05:18