We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and guided tours.

Suwanee, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking and guided tours.

My husband and I are going to the Grand Canyon the first week in June. We are going to be there 4 days. We would like to do some hiking, but nothing too strenuous. Any recommendations? Any recommendations for shorter trails or guided tours?

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking and guided tours.

Hi and welcome to TA!

First, do you already have accommodations booked for inside the park? If not might want to do that ASAP by calling then direct...888-297-2757

The other thing....if you are not avid hikers 4 days might be to many! Two - three might be a better option.

There a a number of trails inside the park....one for just about every fitness level! It's also very easy to self tour or hike on your own in the park. No tour guides needed unless you are looking for something more educational.

The two main trails that go below the rim (we call them corridor trails) are Bright Angel and South Kaibab. Both have different views and both are beautiful!

Bright Angel trail head is right in the village area and easily accessible by foot! South Kaibab trail head will require you to take a free shuttle bus to get to...approx 2 miles from the village area!

For Bright Angel you could hike as far as the first tunnel then turn around (about 3/4 of a mile one way) and make your way back. Usually takes longer to come up then it did to go down! More shade on Bright Angel but you will need to carry water with you.

On South Kaibab you could go down to Ooh-Aah Point (again about 3/4 of a mile down). More exposed trail meaning no shade and steeper. Again carry water with you!!

You can also walk the rim trail that goes out towards Hermits Rest. This trail is paved and stays along the rim. It also takes you to the view points along the West Rim Drive so you have the option of picking up the free shuttle at all of these view points if you want to!

Go into www.nps.gov/grca and you can see how the park is laid out and familiarize yourself with it to better enjoy your time there!

SJG

Suwanee, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking and guided tours.

Thanks so much for the great info. We are staying at El Tovar. I have not booked our flight yet, so we could shorten our stay by a day if we want.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking and guided tours.

I would recommend dividing your time between the Grand Canyon and Page/Lake Powell or Sedona. As SJG says, if you're hot hard-core hikers, you'll probably find yourself ready to move on after 2 days. I used to work at the Grand Canyon and probably 80% of people who booked more than 2 nights cancelled their 3rd/4th nights. Here's a video that explains the situation in more detail and might give you some other ideas of where you might like to go/what you might like to see ->: http://youtu.be/nTXrXvSYJ8w

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking and guided tours.

Agreeing. You will probably find that two nights at GCNP is plenty. I would plan to compliment the journey with the other two nights either in Page or Sedona. Both are good places to hike and explore and completely different from GCNP.

…go.com/Travel/…

www.visitsedona.com

www.visitpageaz.com

Suwanee, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking and guided tours.

Thanks for the great info and suggestions.

Suwanee, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking and guided tours.

I really appreciate the feedback from an experienced traveler.

Vancouver Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking and guided tours.

Any suggestions on which bus tour to take out Vegas for the day to the south rim

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking and guided tours.

Citygirl, go to the Las Vegas forum and read the Top Questions. Then Ask A New Question if you still have any.

Grand Advantures and Pink Jeep get the highest reviews. Just make sure that your tour is going to the GCNP south rim.

9. Re: Hiking and guided tours.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 06:20