We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please!

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,376 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help please!

Does anyone have the link to the site that shows how full the campgrounds are below the rim?

I've seemed to have misplace this valuable information!!

Thanks!!

SJG

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please!

Hmm... I'm not aware of such a website. Are you thinking of the backcountry updates? They typically post permit availability once every season, as well as water status and trail conditions status:

nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/trail-closures.htm

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,693 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please!

I feel like I have seen such a page, showing the % occupancy, based on permits issued) at the campgrounds below the rim for the coming months. Seems like we used to refer to it when people asked about thei rchances of getting a permit after the date they became available (I.e., less than 4 months ahead). But I cannot find it now. I wonder if they removed that feature when they changed the permit application process in 2010?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please!

They usually release a permit status in late spring on the backcountry updates page that shows occupancy rates/availability for the corridor campgrounds through the summer months.

There is also a backcountry use statistics document that was published a few years ago that you may be thinking of. It includes data about the percentage of permit requests submitted and denied: nps.gov/grca/…2009_Backcountry_Statistics.pdf

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,376 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please!

Yes it's the one that Enzian is referring to!! I know I had that link but cannot seem to find it!!

I'm hoping for a trip in the near future:-)

I will keep checking back!

Thanks for all your help!!

SJG

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
517 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please!

Could it be http://www.recreation.gov/ then you search for Grand Canyon?

We use same site for permits in WA too.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please!

Grand Canyon backcountry permits aren't issued through recreation.gov. (Which I'm very glad of, to be honest.)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
517 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please!

I haven't used that site for anything in Grand canyon, and not familiar with permits system yet in that region, but I can see Mather Campground and North Rim campground there, as well as some other places in Southwest.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please!

Seaagal - The North and South Rim campgrounds are a much different "animal" than the campgrounds down inside the Grand Canyon. It's a completely different process to get a permit for camping below the Rim, and availability is much more limited.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
517 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please!

OK, I just though it could be it, since it shows this type of info - what's available and when :)

Using this site we can book pretty remote high demand places in our state - like Enchantments Wilderness, so I assumed maybe that's the link topic started was looking for.

10. Re: Help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 05:18