We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Entrance Gate from Page

PA
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which Entrance Gate from Page

My husband and I are driving from Lake Powell to Grand Canyon Tuesday May 14 leaving Lake Powell resort around 10AM. We know about the detour. Should we enter the Grand Canyon probably around 3PM from the East Entrance and drive along the Desert View Drive stopping at viewpoints or go in the South Entrance? We are staying Tuesday and Wed night at Yavapai. I think it makes sense to come in the East Entrance since we're coming from that direction but at that time are the crowds or sun going to be a problem. After the Grand Canyon, on Thursday we drive back towards Phoenix and fly out Friday afternoon. Thanks for your help.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Entrance Gate from Page

Enter from the east side. See Desert View tower and the other sights on the way. Wouldn't worry too much about crowds on a Tuesday.In fact, I would not worry too much about crowds at all. At the GC you can be as alone as you want, or with as many people as you want.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Entrance Gate from Page

You would encounter much heavier traffic trying to enter through the south gate. We always enter through the east gate and there has never been more than 2 cars ahead of us. If you have the time (it shouldn't take 5 hours to get to the gate) stop for lunch at the Cameron Trading Post. Have a Navajo Taco there.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,329 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Entrance Gate from Page

There is no reason to detour to the main gate

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
809 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Entrance Gate from Page

go to the East gate, but make a stop at the Cameron Trading Post

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Entrance Gate from Page

I think Desert View is the best place for a first view of the canyon. The view is stunning.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
809 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Entrance Gate from Page

Desert View is an absolute must-stop, and indeed a fitting first view of the GC

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Entrance Gate from Page

Time your Eastside entrance to enjoy SUNSET, at Desert view ! carracar

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,329 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Entrance Gate from Page

IMO sunset is a bad time to get to Desert View. You'll be looking straight into the sun and the canyon colors will be washed. There will be a crowd there anyway, so there will be buses and traffic too. Better to arrive earlier and find a better spot, closer to GCV, for the sunset hour.

9. Re: Which Entrance Gate from Page

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 05:16