We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips on Grand Canyon

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tips on Grand Canyon

Hey guys!

Right I am off on a road trip in America. I leave in 3 days (scary!!).

16th May I am off to the Grand Canyon, I was hoping you could help me out with some tips. It is a once in a lifetime trip, so any advice is very welcome.

I have noticed that there is a road through the park. I am heading to Page after, and is this road usable? Or only for the shuttle buses?

Any tips on the must-do sights? I am keen to take some good photos, so if you know the best viewpoint - i'd be thankful.

Basically, what were your favourite parts of the park?

thanks in advance :)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,758 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips on Grand Canyon

Read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. You'll find answers to your questions as well as lots more information that you NEED to know.

The park website will show you where you can and can't drive. AZ 64 is open all the way through the park.

I'll assume that you already have your lodging reservations in place.

Edited: 07 May 2013, 00:24
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,376 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips on Grand Canyon

The road that goes thru the park is usable throughout the park with the exception of the road leading out to Hermits Rest (West Rim Drive). You must take the free shuttle on this one road out towards Hermits Rest!.

The park is very easy to get around within the park on your own but as RedRox suggested read the top questions on the right hand side of this page. Lots of information there that is very helpful.

The whole park has views! You don't need the "best" or "favorite" all you have to do is walk around and pick a spot...honest:-)

www.nps.gov/grca is also a great site to go into that is loaded with information on the park along with how the park is laid out!!

Enjoy

SJG

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips on Grand Canyon

As Southjerseygirl says, there are astounding views from anywhere along the South Rim. You will be amazed each and every time you go to a different place and look down into and across the canyon. Having said that, two of my own favorites are Desert View and Lipan Point.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips on Grand Canyon

The Park publishes a seasonal visitor's guide ("Park Newspaper") that has lots of great info, including maps (showing the viewpoints), shuttle routes/schedules, restaurant and shop hours, ranger programs, etc. They will give you a paper copy at the park entrance but you can browse it here to get an idea of the services within the Park:

nps.gov/grca/…2013SRspring_letter.pdf

The 'spring' guide is good through May 22nd.

Peeking at your posts on the 'Road Trips' forum, it looks like you're spending several days at the GCNP -- good for you! The obvious "must do's" are to visit the viewpoints along the rim but here are some others:

- Monument Creek Vista. This is one of the lesser-known viewpoints along Hermit Road but one of the only ones on the rim with a nice clear view straight down one of the side-canyons ("Monument") all the way to the Colorado River, with Granite Rapids at its mouth.

- Kolb Studio. This is located near the Bright Angel trailhead. I love the historical photo exhibits there.

- Hopi House. This is my favorite of the shops in the Park. Along with the usual souvenir nick-nacks, there are some decent Native American crafts here.

- Have at least one meal at El Tovar - you'll need reservations for dinner.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips on Grand Canyon

The others have given great advice. And since you said this is a once in a lifetime trip, I'm really hoping you booked a night inside the GCNP, at one of the lodges. A trip to the GC isn't complete without viewing sunset and sunrise, and the best way to do that is to stay in the park.

Otherwise, do read the info here on TA, and visit the nps website. Once you arrive at the GC, read the park's newspaper, and go to a Ranger talk if any of them interest you. Of particular interest are the nighttime stargazing activities, if any are scheduled during your visit. Beyond that, there are the museums, of course hiking, driving to viewpoints, etc.

www.nps.gov/grca

Aberdeen...
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips on Grand Canyon

Just returned from GCNP -- won't repeat above excellent advice just little reminders about camera -- take along extra batteries, card, etc. Don't want to be left short at a crucial moment. Also two good pairs of walking shoes! Have a great time.

Tucson, Arizona
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips on Grand Canyon

mather point is great, as is bright angel trail head area. just to see the hikers and the awesome winding trail. South kaibab trailhead is also great. You might wanna google the "road to page az sink hole" as the road up there is closed for a while making for a longer end around

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
78 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips on Grand Canyon

Guys this has been fantastic advice!!! Thank you all so much for your input!

From what I gather, the whole park is a photographers mecca. I am throughly excited to visit this place :)

Thanks again!!!

9. Re: Tips on Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:19