We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month

Vermont
Level Contributor
191 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best month

What is the best month, travel and weather wise to visit the Grand Canyon?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best month

For just the GC, I would say September. If you will also visit other places (Sedona, Phoenix, etc), October.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best month

If you're truly able to pick and choose, late September/early October is typically the favorite time of year amongst the locals. Nearly picture perfect weather, kids are mostly back in school... 'nuff said ;-) Even though it's not crazy-busy like summer, though, it's still busy, so advance reservations for hotels, tours, etc., should still be made.

Hope that helps.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,102 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best month

There is never a bad time to visit the Grand Canyon. You just need to know what to expect and be prepared. For fair weather nd moderate temperatures, spring and fall are best. In the winter the snow is stunning. Summer is the busiest time because of school schedules and family travel season.

No matter when you choose to go, advance planning and reservations are a must. Lodging bookings begin on the first of the month, one year in advance. So for best lodging options in the month of September 2014, you need to call or go online on September 1st 2013.

Vermont
Level Contributor
191 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best month

Thank you. May or September is when we typically travel so it looks like we are in luck.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best month

May is my second favorite month for northern Arizona. The only caveat is that Spring weather is less predictable and you could run into a stretch of bad weather in early to mid May. Late May should be fine, but will be getting pretty warm if you are also around Phoenix.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
832 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best month

it's usually May or Sept / Oct for us. (We go to the GC most years as it's really not far for us). But we've also been there in July and that was okay too - more chance of a thunderstorm

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best month

I got my best pictures in mid-September. There were scattered thunderstorms all over the canyon. That made for some great shots

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,102 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best month

Never worry about thunderstorms for visiting the GC. They are amazing to observe.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best month

Hubby & I have been twice in May....actually this week in May is when we were at GC. The weather was great...beautiful clear blue skies....a calm gentle wind. The nights were cool....we wore jackets at night. We would love to go back for a 3rd trip...when we do, we'll go in May again...... There were several people there, but not a lot a the same time. We did not have to stand in line to eat....or deal with the out of school crowds either. We rode the shuttle bus the entire time we were there and there were no traffic jams for them either.

I certainly hope you love it as much as we did! Have fun and enjoy.

10. Re: Best month

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...