We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

We arrive at the Grand Hotel , just 1 mile outside the entrance to the Park after 6.00pm and spend 3 nights there and then 2 nights at Lake Powell Resort before heading back to Phoenix on Saturday 8th June.

How can we make the most of our days . We would like to include a helicopter ride, some light walking and some interesting guided tours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,820 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

Read the Top Questions on the right side of this page.

If you must do a helicopter flight, book it for the morning. Afternoon flights get windy and views are distorted.

Inside the park, take your time as you self tour the view points and points of interest.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

Browse the Park website to familiarize yourself with the park layout, services, etc. There is also a seasonal visitors' guide ("newspaper") with shuttle schedules, restaurant hours, ranger program schedules, etc.

Park website: www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/index.htm

Summer visitors' guide: nps.gov/grca/…2013SRsummer_letter.pdf

Lots of threads in this forum with activity/itinerary suggestions!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

thanks for your message - I find it itneresting taht you say "if you must do a helicopter flight...." would you not suggest it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

fortunate60

London, United...

reviews: 1

3. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

today, 16:03

thanks for your message - I find it itneresting taht you say "if you must do a helicopter flight...." would you not suggest it?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,820 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

Helicopter flights at the GC are not a necessary part of a great visit there. As an option, they are costly and time consuming. Allow most of 3 hours of your day for a 50 minute flight, for arrival, briefing, set up and returning to the park afterward. The flight is a thrill, and you will see parts of the canyon from a different perspective. But IMO nothing can take the place of time on the ground at the Grand Canyon.

For some reason, any of our foreign visitors feel that helicopter flights are a must do at the GC. I suspect it has to do with travel videos and tourism marketing. But no, you don't have to.

Also understand that helicopter flights at the GCNP depart from Tusayan, just outside the park and fly above the rim at all times. They are not permitted to fly below the rim at all and there are no landings in the canyon itself. Confusion erupts when visitors read about helicopter flights from Las Vegas that land at "the bottom of the canyon". These flights are no where near the GCNP. In fact they are about 200 miles away in a much less dramatic region of the GC. While they technically take place in the GC, the two areas are completely different environments and elevations. The differences in the rim elevation alone is over 3,000 feet.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

Opinions will obviously differ but mine is that everything you need to fully enjoy and appreciate the Grand Canyon is available within the National Park. This doesn't include helicopter trips -- these are commercial tours provided by outside vendors from the airport in Tusayan. Not discouraging anyone from taking one, just saying that they're not necessary.

The Park is well designed for easy self-touring. As long as you have your own vehicle, there's no need to take guided tours but certainly take advantage of the ranger programs, as they are generally excellent. The "Condor Talk" is highly recommended. You can find a list/schedule of the daily ranger programs in the Visitors' Guide/Newspaper linked above. (You'll get a paper copy of the newspaper when you enter the park.)

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

definitely don't take a guided tour into around the GC - use your own vehicle and the free shuttle. Now, I for one adore the helicopter ride. I've done it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll never in my life forget the moment then he swoops over the edge .. you come flying low above the trees over fairly level ground, all you see below is tree tops, and then ... WHAM ... the ground just drops away and you see the canyon spread out below you ... it was simply spectacular - however, one proviso, both times for me was back when they were still allowed to swoop down low into the canyon, close to the river and wing around the formations ...I'd say if you have enough to explore along the rim at ground level, then yes, go for the chopper flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

Many thanks for all your replies

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

The national park has park rangers in uniform who act as excellent resources for the park. They hold ranger talks and walks that are free to attend. They are incredibly knowledgeable and there to help visitors enjoy and enhance their experience at the Grand Canyon so be sure to seek them out.

10. Re: activities to do when we are in Grand Canyon - June 13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 05:19