We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining North rim

newark ohio
Level Contributor
660 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Dining North rim

We have reservations for one of our two nights iin the park in the Dining room but I wonder how the other options are? pizza, sandwiches ect? I am asking because we may want to grill out one of the days if the food is really poor. We will have a cooler for breakfast and lunch and can stop on the way from Zion in Kanab for food items. Grills located near the cabins?

We were surprise last year at the food at Many Glacier and wonder if you all had any inside tips!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,155 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining North rim

There's a coffee shop and a deli. Folks who choose to go to the north rim often do so because of the reputation for fewer crowds. Well, the simple economics of that means less demand and fewer services. The food in the dining room is really very good, and the views are some of the best in the world. But if you don't like it, it's a long way to Jacob Lake for cookies and a small diner.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining North rim

I grabbed a lunch from the deli on my trip last year. Have to say the food was really...average. And the price was really...expensive. I remember thinking that I should have just eaten my protein bars.

Assuming you can't get in the dining room for a second night or would rather not, I suggest you either bring food in for grilling or even purchase some food from the campstore for a simple meal. I don't know if there're grills near the cabins or not.

Keith

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining North rim

Your dining options are very limited at the NR. The dining room, the deli/pizza place, and the saloon has some things. That about covers it. I don't remember seeing grills near the cabins.

You can get drinks from the saloon, and take them outside to the lodge patio to watch the sunset.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining North rim

There are no grills for outdoor grilling!! You choices are limited between the dinning room, deli in the pines, saloon, the cookout experience and the camp store!

I would plan on bringing as much as you can with you that is easy to prepare. There is a microwave at the camp store for public use.

I've always found the soup, pizza and sandwiches at the deli more to my liking then the dinning room!

SJG

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining North rim

We like dinner in the dining room and breakfast from the deli, taken to the patio for the best view in the world.

You could make dinner reservations for the second night, and then cancel after your first night if you don't wish to eat there again. If you are considering the Cookout Experience, read the reviews before signing up. Or there is always the microwave at the little store as SouthJerseyGirl mentioned.

In what way were you surprised by the food options at Many Glacier? That might help us understand what you are looking for at the North Rim and make appropriate suggestions.

newark ohio
Level Contributor
660 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining North rim

Many Glacier and Swiftcurrent dining were fine! And we were pleasantly surprised they had a cafe downstairs that had breakfast sandwiches. I don't go to the National parks for the dining other than the location and views. I love the remote location, less touristy factor and that is why we choose the north rim vs south rim. Is the pizza fine? we are usually so hungry after hiking it will do. I would like to grill out and will give the park a call about using the campground facilities.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining North rim

IMO the pizza was good! Don't know if it actually is or you're just so hungry after a day of hiking that you just eat it!!

We have ordered a whole pizza (4 of us) and taken it over to the saloon to eat with a "beverage". No problem with doing this or you can even take it out back to the beautiful patio!!

SJG

newark ohio
Level Contributor
660 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining North rim

Great to know. Does anyone know of grills on the road to Cape Royal? I see there is a picnic area..... I phoned the forever resort people and they do not know. I will try the park.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining North rim

I really don't remember if there are grills out there but because of the potential danger of fires I'm thinking there isn't any anywhere!

Do call them to double check tho!

SJG

Edited: 13 May 2013, 18:42
West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining North rim

Found a blog that said there are no grills at Cape Royal. 505ers.blogspot.com/2011/06/cape-royal.html

Keith