We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

Canada
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

Hi all

Family of 4 with two kids (13, 9)

Right now, the plan is to leave GCNP after 2 nights (lodging already taken care of) and spend most of the day in Sedona, to arrive in Phoenix in the evening. We fly back home the day after...

But I am wondering if we should not spend only 1 night at GCNP and one night in Sedona, allowing a bit more time for visiting.

Before arriving at GCNP, we will have spent 3 nights in Zion.

So..... 1 or 2 nights at GCNP?

Many thanks!

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

Hi,

It really depends on what you plan to do at Grand Canyon. Are you hikers, do you plan to hike some of the trails? If yes then keep the two nights! If not then possibly split it up between GC and Sedona!

Again if you are actively hiking in Zion the three nights are great, if not you could also take a night from Zion and have two nights Zion, two nights GC and two nights Sedona!!

SJG

Canada
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

Hi SJG,

The plan in Zion is to hike for 2 days (sweeping rock, emerald pool, observation point, scouts lookout, narrows) and river tubing on the 3rd day.

We're going to GCNP because, well, we're only 4 hours away from the GC and coming from the other side of the continent, it's a no brainer to do the driving!

At that point, though, I'm not so certain that the kids will be up for more hiking in the desert sun, hence, my questionning about being in the GCNP for two nights.

Any input welcome!

Edited: 13 May 2013, 13:47
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

You can see the Grand Canyon with one night's stay if you are not hiking. However, Sedona really deserves more then one night or even just a day drive thru!! The kids would have a blast doing certain things there like Pink Jeep/Broken Arrow tour!!

Tough call:-)

SJG

Canada
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

"Tough call:-)"

Tell me about it! LOL

If I compare GCNP with Zion, it's clear the hikes we can do in Zion, in addition to visiting Springdale in the evening and spending time by the pool late afternoon.

GCNP is much more nebulous to me. Beside walking the rim / shuttle route, hike part of Bright Angel trail, visit the watchtower, and watch the sun set, I don't see enough activities to ensure that the kids are kept interested.

Hence my questionning!

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

Check on the driving time from Zion to Grand Canyon South Rim. I believe it is longer than four hours.

But if you get an early start fromZion, you could still be there by early afternoon, and have the afternoon and evening to explore. That may well be enough and give you time to spend a night in Sedona.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

Hi Enzian

We know about the driving time of more or less 5 hours incl. lunch and it's really not an issue as the kids are used to extensive driving like 7+ hours in one day during our annual vacations.

We plan on leaving Zion at around 10:00am, allowing us to arrive at GCNP at around3:00pm, lunch included. The rest of the day would be used to go to view points using the shuttle bus, diner and sun set. The day after, we would do part of Bright Angel (am) and Hermit's rest shuttle (pm).

It is then it gets complicated. Stay in GCNP or leave for Sedona?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

I would say leave for a night in Sedona. Definitely do the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour there.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

I would also say cut the GCNP back to one night. The best thing there is the sunset and sunrise and you'll have one of each. By heading on to Sedona, you have the option of leaving after the kids are ready, rather than being stuck there for the night. You may find yourself leaving earlier than expected. Hike the Bright Angel very early (great to be there before sunrise...that's what I did on the South Kaibab). Depending on how far you choose to go, you may be using the shuttle to Hermit's Rest earlier than expected...and may find you're ready to go earlier than expected...all the viewpoints are great but not all are necessary!

Another vote for definitely doing the Broken Arrow tour with Pink Jeep. A highlight of my visit to Sedona last year. Note also that while the Grand Canyon is, well, grander, unless you are doing some serious overnight hiking at GCNP, IMHO Sedona require more time!

(You probably already know this, but stop for cookies at Jacob Lake when you're heading from Zion to GCNP. Amazing!)

Keith

Edited: 13 May 2013, 16:43
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,350 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

Agreeing. One night at the GCNP is often enough. And if you have two nights in Sedona you'll still wish you had more.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Focus on GCNP or split time with Sedona?

Done deal then!

(fyi, at around 8:00pm eastern time tonight a 2 queen room with partial view at Thunderbird will be available for the night of July 5 )

Thank you very much for your input!

Edited: 13 May 2013, 19:26