We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

river runners... Hualapai Lodge

Columbus, Ohio
13 posts
Save Topic
river runners... Hualapai Lodge

We are thinking about doing this... we have 3 boys ages, 16, 14 and 9. If we decide to do this trip we will be staying at Hualapai lodge the night before. My question is.....will we need to stay there the night of the trip too? Does anyone know what time you get back to the lodge? We have reservations at the Grand Hotel, Grand Canyon and was wondering if we will be too tired to drive there after this trip. Any info on the river runners/and the lodge would be helpful.

Thanks.

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: river runners... Hualapai Lodge

I think they have more than one kind of trip, and they probably have different schedules depending on the time of year. So it would probably be better to check with them since they should know by your reservation which trip you're taking when. Someone here at ta might have taken a different trip, and you'd wind up missing your trip!

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: river runners... Hualapai Lodge

they pretty much launch at the same time every day, and return at the same time everyday.

the only difference in the trips offered is 1 or 2 days.

it would be an awfully long trip to and from the Grand hotel.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2731-Grand_Can…

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: river runners... Hualapai Lodge

I did the one day trip with Hualapai here recently, which was a blast, more adventure than we bargained for, definitely! :)

If you're doing that trip (the one day), here's what I can tell you: if all goes according to program, you should get back to Hualapai Lodge (your departure point) at 5-6 PM, then the drive to the Grand Hotel is about 2.5 hours, which would put you there well into evening.

That is if all goes according to plan, which is you get helicoptered out to Grand Canyon West at the conclusion of your river trip.

What happened to us was that by the time the airlift was supposed to happen, it had gotten WINDY, which meant that we had to motor aaaaaaallllllll the way down to South Cove, which is on Lake Mead. That extended our trip another two hours. The drive back to the lodge turned out to be an unexpected pleasure, taking us through Meadview and an ancient Joshua Tree Forest, but we ended up getting back to Peach Springs at about 8.30.

We had a four hour drive to face afterwards, which was a bit of a drag, and boy, we were tired units, but we still had fun.

Hope that helps - have a wonderful time!

Columbus, Ohio
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: river runners... Hualapai Lodge

Do you think my 9 year old will be okay doing the rapids? How much of an adventure is it? I know you have to be 8 years old to do it. Just wanted some feed back on it.

Thanks.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: river runners... Hualapai Lodge

I think your 9 year old will have a great time. He just has to remember to hang on to those grab bars during the rapids, which are Class II & III ("mid-range" on the 1 to 5 scale). There are I think 9 rapids total, and another thing is, you go through all all of them before lunchtime. The final couple of hours on the river are floating.

De
Level Contributor
402 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: river runners... Hualapai Lodge

About 2 years ago, I took 10 year old on the 1 day trip and no problem - he loved it and we still talk about it. Don't lert the boys miss out on this

After helicopter out - recollect it being long bus ride back to Lodge (maybe 1.5 hours)

We drove on down to London Bridge - wished we stayed at Lodge

Columbus, Ohio
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: river runners... Hualapai Lodge

We decided to go ahead and booked the tour and we are staying the night before. The boys don't know we are doing this....we are keeping it a surprise :-)

The reason we are debating about staying at the lodge a second night is because of all the bad reviews on the lodge and the loud trains. We aren't sure we want to stay two nights, if it is that bad. I know we are going to be tired when we get back, and probably won't feel like getting in the car and driving some place else, but will we get a good nights sleep there? It is a hard decision. Did you notice the trains when you stayed there?

blue bell, pa
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: river runners... Hualapai Lodge

We have reservations for the river runners day trip on June 20. We originally were planning to make our lodge reservation for the night before the rafting trip, but after talking with the river runners (at length), they strongly advised us to make the lodge reservation for the night of our return. If all goes as planned, eta back is 6:30 pm; however, depending on length of time waiting for the helicopter as well as if weather conditions do not permit the helicopter to fly can all tack on time to trip. We are now staying at the lodge two nights. We have spoken to people who stayed before and they do not remember the train (hope we can say the same). We have three girls ages 14, 10, and 9. Have a great trip.

Memphis, Tennessee
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: river runners... Hualapai Lodge

We have booked this trip for August, two nights stay at the lodge, three kids, the whole bit. I have been worried about the reviews for the lodge too. I called the Hampton (new 4-06, great reviews) in Kingman and the drive from there to Peach Springs was a little over an hour. The person at the Hampton recommended staying with them. Tempting!

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: river runners... Hualapai Lodge

If you do book the Hampton in Kingman, let us know how you liked it. The Hualapai Lodge ain't the Bellagio, but, it's right there. Sometimes the elimination of the worry element is worth the inconvenience.

Williams is also not bad as an overnight location before the trip. It took us about 1 hour to get to the lodge from the Howard Johnson's, which again, wasn't the Ritz, but was clean and well-located (close to both the main drag and the freeway). They put their coffee on a bit earlier than the sign said, too, which I appreciated.