We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking to Phantom Ranch

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking to Phantom Ranch

My husband and I have reservations to hike down to Phantom Ranch on 9/19/2013 and to return on the next day. Unfortunately, he has a sports injury and doesn’t think he can make the hike. I would like to do the hike but feel uncomfortable without a buddy. I am a 66 year old female in fairly good shape, but not a long time hiker. If there is anyone or any party going down that day, would you please contact me. I would really like to do the hike that day, because it is so difficult to get reservations at Canyon Ranch

Thanks Barb

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,546 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking to Phantom Ranch

You won't be alone on the trails. But this is not a walk in the park or even a moderate hike. It's a full on extreme experience. Plenty of folks your age have done it and so you're not in eligible. However, you need to be training. Stair climbing is probably the best preparation you can do. No railings and carry your back pack.

If you go, you'll meet people on the trail who will look out for you. You'll meet others at Phantom Ranch who will do the same. So rest assured you'll find company or hiking buddies. But first you need to have the confidence in yourself.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking to Phantom Ranch

Since you already have your reservations, do you have any friends or relatives who might like to do the hike with you? If not, you might also check the website www.hitthetrail.com.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking to Phantom Ranch

Since you have reservations for another person, and this is a very popular time to hike, maybe you could post that you have a reservation that you are willing to share. I bet you find a taker. (And of course the person would pay his share of the charge for the dorm/cabin.) Maybe some others on this board could advise you of where to post in addition to trip advisor.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,869 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking to Phantom Ranch

Barb, I think it's great that you still want to do the hike and I would encourage you to do it even if you're not able to make arrangements for a hiking partner prior to the hike. There's a sense of camaraderie on the corridor trails, and it starts right from the hikers' express shuttle on the way to the South Kaibab trailhead. You really won't feel alone. Canteen meals are family style, so you won't be dining alone either.

California
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking to Phantom Ranch

A few years ago I did a solo trip to PR. Two nights at the bottom. It is easy to strike up conversations/hang out with the type of people that do this hike. I like to spring for a bottle of wine at the dinner table; it helps the good vibes flow!

6. Re: Hiking to Phantom Ranch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...