We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Jun 24-27 GC Trip

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Jun 24-27 GC Trip

Hello All!

Probably our one and only trip to AZ coming up quickly that I would like to get the most we can out of our visit while there. So much great info here that it is a bit overwhelming.

My husband and I, both in our 40's will be flying into PHX for business and recently were able to add on free time from June 24-27 at GC. We have to drive back to PHX sometime on 27th for early morning flight home on the 28th. We are staying at the GC Holiday Inn 24-27 and have a car.

I am interested in comments and suggestions to build our itinerary for the trip. Sight-see, scenic driving routes, places to eat, secrets to get the most out of GC etc.

Any info anyone has to offer would be appreciated!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Jun 24-27 GC Trip

Hi

Holiday Inn is in Tusayan so not inside Grand Canyon NP. Staying inside the park is recommended and more convenient imo. For an early morning flight I'd stay close to the a/p in Phoenix the day before indeed. I'd also consider to stay at GCNP 24 and 25 and then move to Sedona www.visitsedona.com

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Jun 24-27 GC Trip

I would definitely call them direct to see if you can secure lodging inside the park....888-297-2757...providing you can cancel your existing reservation at HI without penalty!!

You may want to cut back your days by one at GC and add in Sedona!! If you are not doing any hiking at GC, three nights might be one more than you need!!

There are six lodges inside the park: El Tovar, Bright Angel Kachina and Thunderbird all sit on the rim....Maswik and Yavapai are set back a ways off the rim but in walking distance!

Enter and park thru the South gate and leave thru the East so that you see both area's! There are view points all along the East Rim Drive that are worth stops especially The Watchtower!

There are also view points all along the West Rim Drive but this is by free shuttle bus only, you cannot drive your personal vehicle out here!! The shuttles run approx every 15 minutes and make stops at all the view points on the way out towards Hermits Rest, but only make stops at Pima, Mohave and Powell Point on the way back! There is also a paved path along the rim that goes this route so you have the option of walking some of this point to point if you want.

Have one of your breakfasts at El Tovar...one of my favorite places for breakfast. Dinner here requires a reservation but none of the other restaurants do inside the park!

Catch a sunrise and sunset while you are there!! Awesome photo opt's and just a beautiful sight to see!!

www.nps.gov/grca has a lot of info including how the park is laid out and how the shuttle bus system runs!!

Enjoy your trip!!

SJG

Edited: 10 June 2013, 13:36
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,316 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Jun 24-27 GC Trip

I agree--if you are not hiking you could take one of those Grand Canyon days and spend it in Sedona. You could then leave from Sedona later on the 27th to get back to Phoenix for your flight the next day--that would be almost two full days there. At the very least, stop in Sedona for a few hours on your way back to Phoenix--you won't be sorry.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,514 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Jun 24-27 GC Trip

Agreeing. Call Xanterra for a room inside the park, even if you can only get a single night there. And it wouldn't be unreasonable to give GCNP one night and Sedona two.

5. Re: Suggestions for Jun 24-27 GC Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 06:15