We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North rim bike ride

newark ohio
Level Contributor
645 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
North rim bike ride

We are excited to visit the Grand Canyon on June 18-19 and I found some information about bike riding on the north rim but I have a few questions........

Rental by the hour at North rim outfitters..... Time open? Closed?

The only trail I seem to find is 17 mile to Point sublime?.......other choices? Something to do part way and back? Is that 17 one way? Condition of the trail? Can you ride from the rental place to the trail or need transportation with bike rack?

We have extra time to do something else. we have two full days with mule ride to the tunnel, half day with picnic dinner to the Cape Royal area and hike along the way at multiple spots, explore around the lodge ect, lodge in west rim cabin!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,265 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North rim bike ride

I find no information on bicycles at the North rim except bring your own. If you do find info, others will be interested, so please report back.

You appear to have plenty to do already. Two things people fail to do at the GCNP. 1) Realize that South rim is 7000' asl average and North Rim is 8000' and the effects that has. 2) Associated with #1, but also a goal in itself just take it easy part of the time and enjoy the environment. The North Rim offers some very isolated and peaceful places to just be still and peaceful.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North rim bike ride

There are bike rentals at the North Rim (by the gas station) but for the life of me I could not find any info on this or the trails they take!!

Are you saying that the bike/tour company is doing this trail to Point Sublime?? I'm thinking it will be a rough ride if it's anything like the "road" to get out there!! The road is approx 20-22 miles of 4x4/high clearance vehicle that takes WELL over 2 hours to drive! I can't imagine riding a bike here unless there is a cleared path which I can't see them doing!!

Yes please if you have this info on the bike rental company please share it with us!!!

As mentioned above, there will be plenty of activities to keep you busy at the North Rim that won't include a bike tour and extra $$ spent on it!

www.hitthetrail.com has a lot of valuable information on the trails and www.nps.gov/grca also has information on the park itself!

SJG

Edited: 13 June 2013, 11:49
newark ohio
Level Contributor
645 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North rim bike ride

I have the same information about renting at the gas station but I could not find any information about trails except bike riding to the Bridle trail which is only 1.2 miles which travels the road from Grand Canyon lodge to the north kaibab trailhead. sooooo. Is ther more trails or not? If not why rent bikes at all?

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North rim bike ride

Hmm, my only other suggestion would be to call them to inquire about other bike trails....877-386-4383

Right off the top of my head I don't know of any other trails that wold be bike friendly. Of course there are plenty of hiking trails, but don't think you want to be riding a bike on any of them!!

I have seen bike riders along the roads of the park both coming in and going out! Would be ok during the day but more dangerous at night on those roads!

Depending on the distance you want to ride you could possibly head out of the park onto one of the many dirt roads and explore but it would be a haul!

SJG

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,677 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North rim bike ride

I don't think there are bike trails at the NR. Most people I have seen just ride on the road.

Since you are going to Zion and Bryce too, the ride up Zion Canyon is great. No cars. And the ride thru Red Canyon near Bryce is nice too.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,677 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North rim bike ride

Here is the Red Canyon Trail near Bryce. Real pretty.

https:/…

Powell Point looks down on Bryce. It is a nice Mt bike ride.

Just across the street from Rubys, you can bike ride to the waterfall that dumps into the Mossy Cave area.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,173 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North rim bike ride

I'd skip bike riding at the north rim. As noted, you'll find better ways to use your time. The roads aren't bike friendly at all as they lack shoulders and are narrow enough that oncoming traffic needs to slow to a crawl at some places.

Unmaintained roads will be more like trail riding but still incompatible for bikes and vehicles, not to mention the dust.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North rim bike ride

There is actually a lot of mountain biking to be done on the Forest Service roads that criss-cross the plateau area between Jacob Lake and the North Rim, but you really have to know where you're going to ride those. I don't think that's what the OP was talking about. I'm not aware of any mountain biking to be done within the boundaries of Grand Canyon on the North Rim.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: North rim bike ride

google "mountain biking north rim grand canyon" for lots of info like the link below.

…frommers.com/destinations/…2284020086.html

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North rim bike ride

I can't find a date on that Frommers article but it is a bit out of date. Bicycles are now available for rent at the South Rim. As for the North Rim, some of what it mentions is road cycling.

As for biking to Point Sublime on the dirt road, it could be fun but you would need to be a competent mountain biker to handle the terrain and the 36 mile RT distance.