We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand canyon day trips with kids

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Grand canyon day trips with kids

Hi, we are travelling to the States in April 2014. While in Las Vegas I want to do a day trip to the Grand Canyon. I am travelling with 3 kids 10, 8 and 6. I know its a fair distance away from Vegas so could anyone suggest the best type of tour with kids? I was thinking the all day bus trip as its the cheapest for five of us, but I'm not sure my kids will handle that long travelling after arriving a few days prior from Australia. We unfortunately only have time to do a day trip not stay over night. I really want to take my husband and the kids to see the Canyon while we are there. Thanks for your help.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand canyon day trips with kids

I would look at renting acar. You will get there quicker, and with 5 people I think it might be cheapest. Forget any tours in the park. Go look over the rim and then hook these kids up with Mr. or Ms. Ranger for their excellent programs geared exactly toward this age group.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,971 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand canyon day trips with kids

The cheapest is to rent a car and drive yourself. $25 per carload to get into the GC.

If you don't want to spend 10 hours on a bus, also consider the airplane/bus combo. Fly to GCNP, then take a bus tour. That is likely to be pretty pricy with the number of people in the family.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand canyon day trips with kids

Thanks for the info. Yes we have spoken about renting a car. I suppose that way we can take our time and not on a stop timetable. Its about a five hour trip one way? The ranger programs look great too, exactly what i was after.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand canyon day trips with kids

Yes, that's about right. Rent a car and drive yourself, it's all straight ahead roads, the driving as such as extremely easy and not tiring. Stop briefly at Seligman just off I-40, the kids will love that.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,221 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand canyon day trips with kids

Jody, I'm not sure how much time you've allocated for Las Vegas but I'd encourage you to consider giving up at least one night and spending it at the Grand Canyon National Park. While I happen to like Las Vegas, I personally don't understand the allure it seems to have to our overseas visitors, especially if you're traveling with kids. It certainly can't hold a candle to the Grand Canyon (or Zion or Bryce Canyons, for that matter.) With three young kids, spending 10+ hours in a car to do this as a daytrip is far from ideal. Frankly, to be honest, it sounds miserable to me.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand canyon day trips with kids

I have two friends who recently took the bus ride from Vegas to GC, One was two sisters and the other a couple. Both said they would not do the bus ride again as it's so long. One also said the kids on the bus were loud and bored to death.

So much better if you drive yourselves and I agree about giving up a night in Vegas. Not the greatest place for kids.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand canyon day trips with kids

We are in Vegas for four days and we are only there as its to break up the trip between Sydney and Florida. I have been to both Vegas and the Grand Canyon previously, but my husband has not. I think as we are coming from so far away that we want to try and fit in as much as possible. Thanks for all your advice. I have ruled any bus trip out and think that hiring a car is the way to go. My kids are pretty good at long car trips as we do this a lot in Australia, but I have also had a look at accommodation at the Grand Canyon and even with the nights accommodation in Vegas we would forgo and car hire it will be way cheaper than any day flight as well. I am thinking this is the way to go as I loved the Grand Canyon and would love to put the boys into some Ranger activities as well as not rushing about. I am on a holiday after all! Thanks :)

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand canyon day trips with kids

Good plan. Driving yourself to the GC and staying there for a night, preferably at an in-park lodge, is by way the best way to experience the GC. If you can't get lodging at an in-park lodge, stay in Tusayan , which is right outside the south gate of the national park. The drive from LV to the GC is not all that long, and it's easy going, it just gets a really long day if you do this as a day trip. And being at the GC for sundown and sunup is best anyway.

Stop in Seligman along the way; just off I-40 west of Williams and Ash Fork - plan about an hour for that. The kids will love it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand canyon day trips with kids

Thanks everyone for your help. I have now booked a night in the lodges at the Grand Canyon national park. That way we can take our time and stop at these great places you have mentioned and we won't be rushed as well as being able to see the GC at sunset and sunrise. Very excited:)

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand canyon day trips with kids

Very glad for you. You won't be sorry. Enjoy.