We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Rim - one day only! July 2013

Palm Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
South Rim - one day only! July 2013

Ok, I know it's not nearly enough time to spend in this amazing place but due to reasons I won't take the time to go into, I have only one day to spend there. I've decided on the South Rim. What should I NOT miss?? I have the whole day from morning til night. Thanks in advance!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,211 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Rim - one day only! July 2013

Are you staying over night at the GCNP? If so, then sunset and sunrise are magical times and not to be missed. You'll do most of your touring and viewing along the rim. I'll not comment on a plan until I know where you're coming from and going to, and where you'll be staying.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,615 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Rim - one day only! July 2013

Hi Joy and welcome to the forum! I am not an expert for the GCNP but I wanted to say even with one day you will have an amazing experience. My "first time" was a day trip from Flagstaff for about 5 hours and I can still remember the thrill and joy. Bring your own food and water if you can so you won't need to shop or dine indoors. The star of the show is the Canyon and seeing it in varying lights and angles is how you will best spend your time.

Also don't spend all your time seeing it through a camera lens, get some good shots and then put the camera away and take it all in through your own eyes.

Don't miss the history of the national park either...the ElTovar, Bright Angel lodge and cabins, the galleries, visitor center and shops all have stories of their own to tell.

I will let the experts offer their wise counsel, but basically the park offers a free shuttle to the west of the lodge area where you can get off and on again at the overlooks, you can hike the level Rim Trail between stops as well, which I recommend. The views to the east of the lodges are accessible by driving yourself. You can also hike down into the Canyon at Bright Angel trail or....help experts, can't remember the other one, but remember it takes twice as long to hike up as down, maybe down 30 mins or so, again strongly recommended.

My favorite place to rest is the verandah of the El Tovar in the rocking chairs with a million dollar front porch view, you get a newspaper upon entry with tons of info and maps and cautions (it's also available on the GCNP website) which is really helpful. Have a great time and come back and share with us please.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,593 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Rim - one day only! July 2013

Does your "one day" include an overnight? If so, highlights would include sunset and sunrise at the rim. Enjoy the viewpoints along Hermit Road (by shuttle) and Desert View Road (your own car). The best broad views of the Colorado River are from the western-most and eastern-most viewpoints. Also, the ranger programs are worth considering.

nps.gov/grca/…2013-SRsummer-tabloid.pdf

A meal at El Tovar is always nice.

Palm Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Rim - one day only! July 2013

RedRox, yes we are staying overnight and I definitely want to catch sunrise and sunset!! :)

AZFan, wow...great info...thanks SO much!

DetTigerFan...thank you too for the tips!!! Looking forward to a great time!

One other question...are the shuttles free? Do some cost and some are free? We are staying at the yuvapai lodge..I think i spelled that right..anyway, we got a room WITHOUT A/C but it's supposed to be in the 50's at night so that's not bad....I hope...

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,211 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Rim - one day only! July 2013

You won't need AC at night.

You'll pay a $25 fee (per car) when you enter the park. That's good for a week and includes shuttles and everything. They might try to sell you on bus tours for sunset and sunrise but I would avoid those like the plague. They create crowds and long lines.

Palm Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Rim - one day only! July 2013

Oh. Good info! So is pretty much anywhere a good spot for sunset and sunrise viewing or is there somewhere really special I should try to get to?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,211 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Rim - one day only! July 2013

Walk to the rim path in front of the hotels and then walk east, beyond El Tovar. Pick a spot.

Palm Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Rim - one day only! July 2013

I've got to say a big thanks to you guys for helping me out with tips and advice on such short notice! We had a great time and I've determined that I MUST go back when I can spend more time. There's so much I wanted to do that I didn't have time for but WOW....what an amazing place! Thanks again, everyone!!!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
59,211 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Rim - one day only! July 2013

Told you!

Cross Plains...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: South Rim - one day only! July 2013

Great post....I am headed to the South Rim on Monday and just scooped a room for Monday night at Maswik! Yea! I get to see the sunset and not risk my life driving back to Vegas in the dark!!

Any other tips for stops along the way from Vegas to South Rim??

Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...