We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
340 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

We will be staying at El Tovar on Oct 17th then driving from there to Santa Rosa - we need to be there by monday evening 21st Oct. We had planned driving through Death Valley then 120 to Yosemite and on to SR. (obviously stopping for 3 nights on the way) My brother who lives in Santa Rosa has just said a mate is coming to stay with him in Sept and is keen to see Yosemite so he isn't overly keen to go two months in a row and as I have been there I am happy to see something different. My question is what is another way to get to Santa Rosa from the Grand Canyon driving no more than 3 or 4 hours each day and preferably not up the central valley (we did that last trip- not that inspiring!!)

Is it possible to drive to the coast and do the coast road???? (that really appeals to me)

I apologise if thisis the wrong pace to put this, I will also put it in the road trips forum.

We are not big on hiking, my 13 yr old seems mainly keen on shopping but she can live without for a few days I think!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

Hi

With 3-4 hours each day this won't be possible with just 3 nights in between. What you can do is:

1. Grand Canyon-Barstow (app 6 hours)

2. Barstow-Cambria (app 5 hours)

3. Cambria-Monterey-Santa Rosa. This will be a long day wit the stops on the way. Even with short stops count on 8 hours. Traffic dependant.

Tet

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
340 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

Oh wow, maybe we should stick with the Death valley route then.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

That also will be tough. Grand Canyon to Death Valley app is 7-8 hours and DV to Yosemite Valley also can take that long.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,507 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

Tet is right. We just drove from Lake Tahoe to DV (about the same as Yosemite to DV) and its a full day with only a little time to enjoy DV as you drive through. And we used 2 more days to get from DV to Sedona. About the same as DV to GCNP.

Distances are great in the southwest

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,021 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

Where are you arriving before GCNP? If you are arriving in Las Vegas and renting a car, then the easiest way to get to Santa Rosa is to go back to Las Vegas and fly to San Francisco.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
340 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

We are renting a car from Las Vegas, might be the best idea Bob. We have a few days so maybe we could just do some sightseeing in that area then fly to SF.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

Yes, there's a lot to see around Vegas. Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire SP, Mt Charleston.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,888 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

I'm going to Vegas for the first time in December for 4 days is it worth it to go to Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, etc if I have never done anything else in Vegas yet?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,021 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

jordansbulls: not unless you can spend 2 of your days at GCNP.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,919 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Canyon to Santa Rosa CA- any suggestions??

If you are renting the car at Las Vegasmit will be really expensive to drive it to California and return it there. I suggest you visit areas around Las Vegas, particularly Zion National Park which isonly 2.5 hours away and is beautiful, especially in October with the fall colors. It is as scenic as Yosemite, in my view, althoughgh not as famous. You can stay inside the park, or in the town of Springdale right at the park entrance. Springdale has lots of nice lodging offer, including our favorite, Desert Pearl.

Then you can fly to San Francisco and pickup another car to get to Santa Rosa. Or you can fly to Santa Rosa on Alaska Airlines, but you would have to change planes in LA.