We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas to North Rim

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Vegas to North Rim

Hi advisors! We are driving from Vegas to North Rim GC on Sept 4th, staying at the lodge for one night, please advise about the driving and road conditions.How is the drive from Vegas to North rim? I know Sublime point is a tough drive, so will not attempt that as we will be driving a Prius :) What are easy drives around north rim? What all points and drive I can visit with drivingand half day hikes? Please advise with all possible places to visit in two days. Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas to North Rim

The drive from Vegas to the NR takes about 5 hours. Alot of the route is interstate highway until you take hwy 9 in Utah over to Hurricane..You drive thru the Virgin River Gorge on I-15 which is interesting.

There is a WalMart in Hurricane if you need to stock up on groceries or buy a cooler at the last minute.There are also grocery stores and Wal Marts in Mesquite and St George.

From Hurricane,you take 59/389 which passes Pipe Spring National Monument. Before Jacob Lake is Le Fevre Overlook that has views of the Grand Staircase. At Jacob Lake you can fill up with gas and get cookies at the store. Nearby is the Jacob Lake Fire Tower, which you can go into if the spotter is working that day.

At the NR drive out to Cape Royal and Point Imperial.

On the way back to Vegas, you can alter the route and take hwy 89 to 9 and drive thru Zion National Park.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas to North Rim

Thank you! So a Prius can handle all the drive through North Rim! I am happy now. What hikes are must do at north rim?

Alternate route through Zion sounds exciting, please tell me more about it, do I need to pay NPS entrace fee for passing through it?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas to North Rim

Yes, you do have to pay the $25 admission fee. That's the big problem with that route. If you no time for Zion - either there or on the way back (admission is good for 7 days) - then it's probably best to not do it. You don't really get the best of Zion by driving that route, IMHO.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas to North Rim

All those roads mentioned are paved.

Here is a link to the fire tower.

waymarking.com/waymarks/WMFRN7_Jacobs_Lake_L…

The drive thru Zion from the 89 to 9 is the more spectacular entrance to Zion, as you go thru the tunnel and drop down into the canyon. Be sure to hike the short Canyon Overlook just east of the tunnel. You will need to pay the park entry fee, as the highway goes thru the park. This time of year there is a manditory shuttle up the main canyon. You can park at the intersection of hwy 9 and Zion Canyon Road at Canyon Junction and catch the shuttle there, or drive to the visitor center or the town of Springdale.

Zion is just short of 3 hours from Vegas and you gain an hour entering NV.

This is a nice guide to Zion with pics and trails.

www.citrusmilo.com/joesguidetozion

How many days you have?

Edited: 12 August 2013, 20:26
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas to North Rim

Since you are only staying the one night at North Rim I would not take the route thru Zion and the tunnel unless you have planned to stay at Zion the night before!

There is so much to see and do in Zion that a drive by is not the way to do it! Take the 59/389 route for this trip.

Also be advised that there is construction on two of the roads. Taken from the NPS website: Beginning September 1, the road to Cape Royal will be

closed at Roosevelt Point and the road to Point Imperial

will be closed at the “Y” for repaving.

SJG

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas to North Rim

Thanks! I just have 3 nights in Vegas and one night at GCNR. Does NP Annual pass ($80) accepted at Zion as well? I am planning to get it this year

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas to North Rim

The pass is good at all National Parks.

If you only plan to be on the road for one night, I would drop Zion.You need a bare minimum full day there.Two or more days is better.

Just seeing the north rim will fill all your time.There is plenty to see.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 21:02
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas to North Rim

With only a single night at GCNP NR and a 5 hour drive each way, you don't have time for detours like Zion. All of the roads you'll drive are paved. If you find yourselves on dirt, stop and turn around. You made a wrong turn somewhere. You'll need all the time you have at the park, just to tour the half dozen major view points. Your hikes will be short walks at those view points; you don't have enough time for anything else.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas to North Rim

Thanks all! Now am worried about the construction on two of the roads. Taken from the NPS website: Beginning September 1, the road to Cape Royal will be closed at Roosevelt Point and the road to Point Imperial will be closed at the “Y” for repaving.

Now what are my options and places to visit in N Rim? Please suggest. Thanks!

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,373 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegas to North Rim

You still have Bright Angel Point to see along with the Transept trail which is a great walk. You can take your car to the North Kaibab trail head and maybe do a short hike down into the Canyon just to Coconino overlook....will be about 1-1/2 mile round trip hike!

Check with the Rangers inside the Visitor's Center to see if either one of those two roads will be open to allow you to drive to either Point Imperial or Cape Royal!

SJG