We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is one night enough with 2 children?

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is one night enough with 2 children?

Hi helpful locals,

I've been researching our trip to visit the Grand Canyon during our stay for next year (September 2014) - I know I am a real planner! I've realised that to secure lodgings at the GCNP I'll have to book quite soon - most likely Kachina or Thunderbird for 2 adults and 2 kids (10 and 7).

Will one night suffice if we just want to look at the main lookouts and do a small amount of hiking?

We are coming from Australia so this will be a once in a lifetime thing to see for us. We will have a hire car and drive from Las Vegas and will leave early in the morning so any advice on where to stop along the way for must see towns to stretch our legs and for a refreshment stop will be much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance for any help I get!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is one night enough with 2 children?

Many people seem to think that one day is enough, but there are many more who think that at least 2 days should be given to one of the natural wonders of the world. There are many programmes put on by the park rangers for your kids and there is a lot of wildlife to see as well.

If your kids have seen the movie "Cars" you should stop by Seligman which is on the famous Route 66. If you don't feel like burgers there, stop in Kingman for very authentic Mexican food at El Palacio.

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is one night enough with 2 children?

Thanks for the prompt response!

I am thinking 2 nights more for the thought that if we've come this far why rush it?

Is Seligman along the way or is it quite a detour from our drive from Las vegas? We are going to see Disneyland towards the end of our trip so the "cars" references would be great fun.

Thanks again

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is one night enough with 2 children?

It's right on your way, just off the boring highway. They have a display of replica cars from the movie right next to the burger stand. Good fun!!! Enjoy!!! You should know that the movie was based on Seligman and surrounding countryside. You will see things that look oddly familiar.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 09:48
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is one night enough with 2 children?

Las Vegas to GC is close to a 5 hours drive not counting stops at Hoover Dam and Seligman. So if you leave early next morning your time for GC is too short imo. Suggest to stay 2 nights. GC to LA is another 8-9 hours drive depending on stops and traffic.

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is one night enough with 2 children?

Hi Tet14 and ugyved2

Thanks for your replies - we'll most likely drive back to Las vegas and stay another night before flying to San Francisco. We'll then drive back to Anaheim taking our time and absorbing the sights - another topic with many questions - I have alot of researching ahead! Lucky I like to plan holidays..

It looks likely we'll spend 2 nights at GCNP. Seligman sounds like a great stop! I'll have to find out some more about it.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is one night enough with 2 children?

Another option is to fly Phoenix to SF. On the way between GC and Phx you'll find Sedona and towards Phx you also will see those magnificent Saquaro cacti in the low desert. Phx also is a little bit closer than Las Vegas and you'll avoid backtracking. If you rent the car with a broker fro Australia like www.traveljigsaw.com there won't be drop off charges between Las Vegas and Phoenix for most type of cars.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is one night enough with 2 children?

Just click on the blue Seligman link and look at all the pictures. You will find that each place is crazier than the last. Figure at least an hour to stroll around before you decide on a place to eat. Your kids will love it, as will you.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is one night enough with 2 children?

Places to eat in Oatman are West Side Lilo's, Raod Kill Cafe and Delgadillo's Snow Cap. That last place has a surprise for your kids. Bring them inside!

Auckland
Level Contributor
57 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is one night enough with 2 children?

Hi,

We are flying in to Phoenix from LA and then getting a rental car to GCNP, why? It's shorter than going from Vegas and we get to see Sedona. We will visit Seligman on route to Vegas after GCNP, maybe an option for you? Everyone seems to do GCNP from Vegas. Enjoy the planning for your trip. We leave in a month for our trip, can't wait.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is one night enough with 2 children?

The programs the park rangers put on are all very good, but your kids are the perfect age for the Junior Ranger Program.