We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon Visit plus

New Orleans
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon Visit plus

I'm looking for any advice on visiting Lake Powell, the Grand Canyon (north or south rim) and a resort near Page, Arizona. Where should we fly into and if its Flagstaff, should we go North and visit GC and go to Page or fly straight into Page and drive down to GC. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,465 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon Visit plus

It's probably best to fly into Phoenix or Las Vegas. Can't give you any more advice without knowing when you expect to be traveling and how much time you'll have available.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,779 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon Visit plus

Flight connections into Page are very limited.

All flights to Flagstaff go through Phoenix. In the time involved of waiting and connections, it usually makes sense to get in a rental car and drive.

But as above we need to know when you plan this trip.

GCNP South Rim has more lodging and is more accessible then the North Rim.

If you are looking for resort-type lodging, you won't find that except one exclusive and expensive place north of Page.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon Visit plus

Right. How long is your trip and waht time of year are you coming. Are you travelling with kids?

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon Visit plus

Also, there are no resorts in Page, except Amangani- which, while wonderful, the prices are out of this world. There are plenty of decent hotels, but nothing considered a resort.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon Visit plus

Thanks for all the responses, we are open to travel anytime except the summer, 2 adults and we were thinking about staying at amangiri but not sure if its worth it, I was also thinking about enchantment in Sedona. Frankly I would love to just see amangiri, it looks incredible. We are from New Orleans and I have never been out west, its like another planet. We are spending at least 3 days on lake Powell and another two somewhere else, I'd like to spend less time in a car but I know that's probably unavoidable. Any suggestions or different thoughts are welcome.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,465 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon Visit plus

You need to decide if you want to hang out at a resort destination, or if you want to explore and experience the high desert in the southwest. With less than a week, you can't really do both.

How are you speeding 3 days on Lake Powell? Houseboat? Day trip activity? Summer is the most popular time to be on the lake.

Sedona is more of a year round destination, as is the Grand Canyon NP, however the seasonal differences are remarkable and need to be considered.

Your request for advice is still too vague to respond in a meaningful way. I suggest that you do some more research about the proposed destinations and prioritize what it is that you THINK you want to see ad do on this vacation.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon Visit plus

Sedona, Grand Canyon and Page will be a great mix for one week. Reservations at GCNP are essential www.grandcanyonlodges.com Make your reservations for that first and plan accordingly.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
833 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Canyon Visit plus

Fly into Phoenix and then rent a car. Sedona, the Grand Canyon and Page aren't too much driving from there. This is relative of course. We do have vast distances here Out West But PHX - Sedona is a good 2 hours, and Sedona - GC is way less than two hours driving. GC - Page - despite the necessary detour - is also less than 2 hrs.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Canyon Visit plus

From september 2013 a new road is open to Page (89T) so no more detours although us90 south of Page remains closed

10. Re: Grand Canyon Visit plus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:21