We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GC - driving options

Famagusta, Cyprus
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
GC - driving options

Driving to the GC, what are my options for exploring within my car for a few hours? I'm not interested in any commercial options.

Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,159 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GC - driving options

Commercial?

You can explore view points from The GC Village to Desert View in your car, a distance of more than 20 miles, all inside the park. You will have to pay the park entrance fee at the gate. Not sure if that violates your definition of commercial or not. And you will have to get out of the car to see the canyon.

I suggest that you read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,348 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GC - driving options

By commercial options do you mean tours?

You do not have to book any tours inside the park...it is very easy to self tour! The only area you cannot drive your own vehicle is on the West Rim Dr. out towards Hermits Rest. You must take the free shuttle system here to all the view points along this route unless your visit is after Nov 30 and before March 1...then the road is open to personal vehicles!

www.nps.gov/grca has loads of info on the park itself and you can also see how things are laid out to better get around during your time there!

SJG

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GC - driving options

All the viewpoints east of the Village have parking lots nearby, some of them right there at the viewpoints. For the ones along the western section of the rim drive, from the village to Hermits Rest, you have to take the shuttle, but it's free. Park entry fee is $25 per car and this is valid for a week. This money goes into maintaining the park and its services for visitors.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 17:19
Famagusta, Cyprus
Level Contributor
53 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GC - driving options

Thanks for the replies everyone... Yeah by 'commercial' I mean tour. We want to be able to explore GC at our own pace and independently.

5. Re: GC - driving options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 05:18