We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HI. mule trip to bottom

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
85 posts
440 reviews
Save Topic
HI. mule trip to bottom

HI. I want to do the mule ride to the bottom and back up. i think its about 6 hours. i would like to know what month is the best time to do this trip. I dont want to go when its hot or cold. does it get warmer as you go down or cooler? thanks alan

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,704 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HI. mule trip to bottom

You are misinformed. It's a 2 day minimum trip. There are 10 mules per day and the trip will cost you close to $1K pp. Use the park website to learn what you need to know and be prepared to (attempt to) book a full year in advance

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HI. mule trip to bottom

The mule rides are offered by the park concessionaire, Xanterra. Here's the information about them:

www.grandcanyonlodges.com/mule-trips-716.html

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,704 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HI. mule trip to bottom

Thanks for that link DTF

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
85 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HI. mule trip to bottom

HI. I guess i did not get it right. I thought there was a ride that went half way to the phantom ranch. I guess i did not mean all the way to the bottom just half way. like a 6 hour ride or whatever it is. thanks. alan

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,704 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HI. mule trip to bottom

The ride to Plateau Point was terminated about 2 years ago. Use the link provided to learn about mules at the GCNP. There are two short rides on the rim. There is a day trip to Supai Tunnel at the GCNP north rim. Perhaps that is what you have in mind.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HI. mule trip to bottom

The old Plateau Point ride that RedRox mentions went to Indian Garden which is half-way to Phantom Ranch. There is a new ride that just started to Shoshone Point. It doesn't go below the rim but it follows the rim and should have great views.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
85 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HI. mule trip to bottom

HI. thanks for the info. OK if i have to do the phantom ranch to the bottom what month would be the best so its not too hot or cold. thanks again. do they have cabins for singles? I sure my wife would not to do this trip. alan

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,704 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HI. mule trip to bottom

Have you read the link that DTF posted? Or the link to the park website that I posted? You'll find a wealth of information there about lodging and weather patterns.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 07:04
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HI. mule trip to bottom

Not sure anyone can answer that question without knowing what you consider "too hot" and "too cold". Here is the table of average temperatures at the rim and Phantom Ranch. Note that there is a 5,000 feet elevation difference between the two, so temperatures vary significantly:

www.grandcanyontreks.org/preciptemps.htm

I don't know about cabin accommodations for singles. I would contact Xanterra (at the link) and ask.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HI. mule trip to bottom

Mule rides on the North Rim: www.grandcanyonlodgenorth.com/mule-rides There are a few options. I prefer the North Rim, since it's higher, cooler, greener and less crowded than the South Rim, but the options for accommodations are far more limited than on the South Rim: pretty much just the lodge at the rim, the rustic Kaibab Lodge just outside the park, and the Jacob Lake Inn, 40 miles from the rim.

http://www.grandcanyonlodgenorth.com/

http://www.kaibablodge.com/

http://www.jacoblake.com/

Edited: 07 September 2013, 20:34