We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trail damage

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,975 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Trail damage

FYI Phantom Ranch visitors: There has been a significant rock slide about one-half mile below Cedar Ridge on the South Kaibab Trail. Currently, hikers are able to get through but it is impassable for livestock. Crews will be sent in tomorrow to clear the slide, but it could take up to two days for the work to finish and be ready for mule traffic.

This report just posted. The heavy rain and wash outs over the last few days and weeks are taking its toll.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trail damage

Summer 2013 has certainly been the Season of Epic Rain!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trail damage

Thanks for the heads-up. I believe more rains forecasted for this week. Certainly a summer of extremes this year.

Waterford
Level Contributor
144 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trail damage

Thanks for the update. My trip is getting close (one month!!) and we are planning on going down South Kaibab.

California
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trail damage

Just received a trail report from our friends visiting us from Prescott, AZ. They said the trail at best is full of holes which are made by the hooves of the mules gouging into the dirt, especially holes right next to the many wooden stair re-inforcements on the trail. Also, that mules being mules they are quite incontinent and so you need to watch where you place your feet and what you might accidentally put your shoe in to! Lots of trail apples! Careful, and hold your nose!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trail damage

>> Just received a trail report from our friends visiting us from Prescott, AZ. They said the trail at best is full of holes which are made by the hooves of the mules gouging into the dirt, especially holes right next to the many wooden stair re-inforcements on the trail.

Are these the same friends who hate the South Rim and never go there? ;) Did they hike the trail recently? I haven't hiked it since November of 2010, just after the very extensive trail repairs were done. It was in beautiful shape at that time. Since then, the mule trains have returned to South Kaibab but only half the number of mules now. I hadn't heard that much damage had already been done after less than 3 years.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,470 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trail damage

DTF...we were on it last Oct and you could already see signs of wear on the trail from the Mules! Not as bad as before but it's starting to take it's toll!!

No where did we see "holes" from the Mules hooves...just indentations!

SJG

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trail damage

I would like to see the number of mules on North Kaibab reduced. The trail and steps were fine, but it really was just constant poop and the dreaded poop/pee puddles. Some of them were pretty difficult to get around without stepping in. It is not an occasional bad smell, it is the entire time. I am not squeamish for this type of thing, but it really took away from the experience, especially for my family who did not go lower than Supai Tunnel. From our trip to Zion, North rim, Death Valley, and Yosemite, they rated this hike way at the bottom, I think largely because of this. Why can't they wear the diaper bags in the back like some city horses? Especially on N Kaibab because they are just going down a bit and coming right back up.

I know the mules serve their purpose, certainly getting things down to phantom ranch, but I would rather they weren't allowed at all on N Kaibab.

California
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trail damage

Answer to Det Tiger Fan,

No, our friends who live in Prescott have, so far, only visited the South Rim. Last night the wife was telling us the story of her hike only 4 and 1/2 miles down the Rim Trail from the South Rim, about having the camel pack (water), masking tape, and so on. Pretty entertaining, to hear her tell the story!

It must be someone else you are thinking of -- maybe us! We certainly do not hate the South Rim. We have been there one time. It's just that after being to the North Rim that there is not ever going to be a reason for us to visit the South Rim again.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trail damage

Copper_JackRabbit, I misread your post (different thread), sorry! And, you're right, you were talking about yourselves ("...we would not dream of visiting the SR ever again."), not your friends.

10. Re: Trail damage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:18