We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

Sebastian, FL
Level Contributor
20 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

I will be at the Grand Canyon October 1-10. Now I am worried about stupid congress "shutting down the government" October 1. This happened in 1995, and national parks were closed. How can I see the canyon without being in the national parks?? Just in case......

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

Not sure what to tell you. When you say "at the Grand Canyon", are you actually booked to stay in GCNP for 10 days? There's no other easy access to the rim at the main part of the Canyon other than the South and North Rim Villages of the National Park. There are some remote rim trailheads with great views but it would mean long drives on remote Forest Service roads. You would want a Kaibab National Forest map and a 4WD/AWD vehicle. The area had a rough monsoon season and I've heard that some of the roads are in bad shape.

Depending on your itinerary, Sedona and Page might be good alternate destinations. Tribal parks, like Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon and Grand Canyon West will be open.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

I was wondering the same thing - do you actually have 10 days booked inside the GC Nat'l Park? If so, that's an awfully long time to be in the park, even if you'll be hiking a lot. Are you hiking to the bottom, and do you have permits?

As for closing the park itself, yes, it's rare, but not unheard of. There's no way of knowing right now. Just stay flexible, and as DTF mentioned, you could always add Sedona, Page, etc.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

I find it hard to believe they'll shut the entire 180 highway or the junction to the 64, it would cut so many people off from services. They may not man the entrance booth and just let people drive through; they might block off some of the overlooks (doubtful) but there would be no services. They could shut campgrounds, for example, and revoke all wilderness permits (because the permit implies someone to check it). People actually live at Grand Canyon (the workers and federal employees), to have them shut the roads would take manpower.

Of course, without federal enforcement on park roads, the State of Arizona would have to get together with the feds about what to do. I suppose they could shut the road right at the edge of the park in each direction, with local residents only (as they do during fires etc.)

Lots to consider. 10 days at Grand Canyon is an incredibly long time, btw.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

It makes little sense to speculate about what might happen. In the past, when a national park was closed, it was closed to access. People should wait and see what happens.

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

The last I heard Federal employees were to continue operations as is and would be issued vouchers instead of paychecks until such time as the Government got their act together again.

Sebastian, FL
Level Contributor
20 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

Sorry I didn't give details...I'm flying into Phoenix 10/1. Drive to Sedona. Stay 1 night. Drive to North Rim, stay 2 nights at the GRand Canyon Lodge in the park. On to Page, 2 do 1 night and smooth raft float. Then to South Rim, for 2 nights at El Tovar. After that back to Sedona for a couple nights. I guess I'll craft a "Plan B" if no one knows whether the State of Arizona has alternate plans for manning the entrances to the National Parks. I guess I was hoping after 1995's shut down that Arizona had formed plans in case our dysfunctional government once again screws income producing sites.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

The last time there was a real possibility of a government shutdown, the Department of the Interior formulated specific instructions and plans for how the National Parks would be administrated in a shutdown. My understanding is that this has not happened this time, which leads me to believe that the federal government is expecting this to be resolved before a shutdown is forced. FWIW, the last time, the DOI/GCNP announced that, in case the shutdown occurred, the shutdown would happen over several days and visitors staying in the park and any hikers in the backcountry would have two days to make alternative plans and exit the park. If I remember correctly, the expectation at that time was that AZ-64 through the park would be closed.

Given the lack of any official announcements from the DOI/NPS, I would guess that they're not expecting the shutdown to occur or, if it does, is not expected to impact the parks. I have heard that it would be a "partial" shutdown in anycase.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

OMG, I never thought of this. I plan to be in Page on Oct 1 and go to the North Rim. Its enough that I am having routing problems with the road closure to Page and detour but now this??? Lets pray that this doesn't happen...some vacation if it does..... (thinking happy thoughts, thinking happy thoughts...) Alternate plans then to areas east of there....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

Just received this message today on Facebook from the GCNP... Grand Canyon National Park Grand Canyon National Park 11:44am Sep 26

We remain hopeful that the federal government will not shut down, but are preparing in case that happens. We will provide additional information to the public and visitors as it becomes available.

We are going there on Oct 1 and may not be able to get in if they do close it...Only time will

10. Re: GCNP Closure?? How to see the canyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 September 2013, 08:19