We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Winslow from Sedona

Cumming, Georgia
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Winslow from Sedona

September 2014 we will be spending a week in Sedona before our visit to GCNP. We are considering a day trip to Winslow (2 hrs?) including a trip to Rock Art Canyon Ranch (2-3 hrs?), lunch at La Posada Hotel, Standin' on the Corner, and a stop at Meteor Crater (1 hr?) on the way back. I have two questions;

1. With an early start--7AM--is it possible to do all this and be back in Sedona before dark?

2. How soon do I need to make arrangements for the tour at Rock Art Canyon Ranch? Now? or closer to the trip date?

Thank you for all the great information and help on this forum!

BB

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,230 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Winslow from Sedona

Yes, it's doable from a timing standpoint. Check with the ranch a few months before you travel. They have been reducing open days and tour options. It may or may not be open next year.

Cumming, Georgia
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Winslow from Sedona

Thanks, RedRox.

If Rock Art Canyon Ranch doesn't work out, we are looking at V-Bar-V petroglyph site closer to Sedona....not quite the same experience, but similar? Also, if we don't use the time at Rock Art Canyon, would it be a good use of our time to go on to the Petrified Forest from Winslow? We plan to do the Sunset Crater/Wupatki loop on the way to GCNP, and if I understand correctly, we will have a view of the Painted Desert on that drive, right?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,230 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Winslow from Sedona

It's not about a "view" of the Painted Desert. PD is a vast region of northern Arizona with a variety of landscape features. The PD national monument and Petrified Forest NP are destinations that IMO are a long way to go with a small pay off. One of my favorite sites in the PD is the area along 89 and 160 near Tuba City, a shorter detour, just above Cameron on your way to GCNP.

V-Bar-V is much closer to Sedona and very interesting, and part of the same network of Sinagua villages and ruins in the area that includes Rock Art Ranch and points all the way up into Utah.

Cumming, Georgia
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Winslow from Sedona

Good idea. Thanks for the tip. Marking Petrified Forest off our list. Loving learning about the GCNP, Sedona, and surrounding area. I can certainly see why one or two days here would not be enough!

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Winslow from Sedona

Be aware that V-Bar-V is not open every day. I know it's open Sat - Mon, and maybe Friday but I don't remember about that day. It also closes at 3:30 PM.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Winslow from Sedona

Having just responded to your post about hiking to Phantom Ranch, I'm wondering if you've looked at possibly visiting Walnut Canyon? Somebody here can probably tell us the exact number of stair steps, but I remember it was a bunch! You'd get ancient Native American cave dwellings and a good workout in the same package.

Cumming, Georgia
Level Contributor
84 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Winslow from Sedona

Thanks for the idea smolies-hiker. I had not really looked at Walnut Canyon. Looks like that might be a good option for us.

8. Re: Day trip to Winslow from Sedona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 06:21