We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight stop on way to San Diego for night of 18t oct 2013

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
overnight stop on way to San Diego for night of 18t oct 2013

Hello, I also posted this in the California forum , my family and I are doing a touring holiday of California. We start in San Francisco and end in LA. The route and accommodation is all sorted (thanks Tet) But I am stuck on somewhere to stay between Grand Canyon (thunderbird lodge) and Shelter Island in San Diego. I know this is a long drive so we had planned on one night, around half way. There will be 4 of us (children 12 & 6). We will need somewhere to have dinner in the night, maybe a pool. I've looked at Blythe, but not keen. Also looked at Brawley but that seemed to close to San Diego. I've looked at maps and tried to find somewhere half way but really not getting anywhere. I would also like advice on which route would be best. Would like it to be scenic and somewhere on route to use restrooms, dont want to go near LA as we will have a week there after San Diego. Any advice really appreciated.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight stop on way to San Diego for night of 18t oct 2013

You can make a scenic drive from GC through Sedona, perhaps Jerome, the old Territorial capital of Prescott and then stay the night in Wickenburg, which is perhaps the most authentic old west town in all of AZ. You will find little south or west of there worth spending the night.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,372 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight stop on way to San Diego for night of 18t oct 2013

..... that would take you to I-10 and on the way to LA. I would follow the suggested route to Prescott, than go east to I-17, south down to Phoenix, skirt the valley on Loop 101 west, take I-10 to the HWY 85 Gila Bend cutoff near Buckeye and then south to I-8 to continue to San Diego.

Places to stay, after NW Phoenix, not Gila Bend, but Yuma is possible and today has many nice hotels. Brawley stinks literally.and is a trucking stop which means the motels get rather run down there.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 23:49
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight stop on way to San Diego for night of 18t oct 2013

You can go more easily south to Phoenix and the suggested cut-off from Wickenburg. Taking the I-17 leaves you with little other option than to spend the night in Phoenix.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight stop on way to San Diego for night of 18t oct 2013

Should you drive the 180 into Flagstaff ... Then, 89a, South, with some time spent in Sedona & Jerome ... Prescott, is about as far as as you may get ... Next day, down the "hill" to the 71/60... At Quartzsite turn South, on the 95 to Yuma & follow the (actually quite scenic) I-8 into San Diego... happy trails ... carracar

5. Re: overnight stop on way to San Diego for night of 18t oct 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 05:17