We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

Just received this message today on Facebook from the GCNP... Grand Canyon National Park Grand Canyon National Park 11:44am Sep 26

We remain hopeful that the federal government will not shut down, but are preparing in case that happens. We will provide additional information to the public and visitors as it becomes available.

We are going there on Oct 1 and may not be able to get in if they do close it...Only time will for us. Fingers crossed.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

We have been waiting a YEAR for our October hike to Phantom Ranch and been training since January. It will be hard to take if a politician in some cushy office spoils our trip! We are in our 50s and need to go ahead and do our dream trip NOW!! Not only see the GC, but many other National Parks in the area! Since we will

Be staying in hotels inside the parks, we would probably not be able to find hotels at this late date. (Unless people start canceling because of the shutdown.) Not happy. They better resolve this quickly.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 06:16
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

SouthernLadyMom, we are in the same boat. We've had reservations for GC, Bryce and Zion (all for lodging inside the parks) for a year and are hoping things will still work out. Like you, our main concern is finding available lodging in the general area if the parks do close and we have to cancel the reservations. Sadly, I think we just have to wait and see what happens. But I'm trying to be optimistic; we are also in our 50s and have seen a lot of bad stuff come and go. Hang in there!

3. Re: Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 October 2013, 13:39
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

Same boat... have been planning and saving for a GC/Lake Powell/ Zion Mountain trip for over a year. We're scheduled to leave on 10/3. Nonrefundable airfare. Anybody have any great ideas of things to see in these areas that aren't owned by our government?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

There are still wonderful things to see in the region. The State Parks in UT, AZ and NV will still be open for business as will the Tribal Parks (such as Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon). Maybe look into Sedona as on option.

Waterford
Level Contributor
156 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

What the heck! I am also in the same boat - we are to hike the GC on Oct 8th and are hoping for everyone whose gone through the expense and planning that this will be averted.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

Which State Parks in Utah, please?? How close to Page? I refuse to reschedule my trip and will go anyway. Arizona is beautiful with or without their National Parks.....I am determined to still have a good trip. First the road closure and repair, and now this..... :-(

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

Sorry to hear you are in the same shoes we are...and for such a important reason. Hope everything works out for you too. We are still going and determined to make the best of a bad situation...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

We are in the same shoes as you are...but I am determined to still make the best out of a bad situation...all of the places I had wanted to see, except one, will be closed. Even a simple thing like getting into the Dam for a tour. I may cut my northern Arizona trip short and go down to Southern Arizona, where we would have headed later, near Tucson. Tucson has a ton of things to do and see that are privately funded. I would look there...that's what I am going to do.

Waterford
Level Contributor
156 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible Government shut down of Grand Canyon Park soon????

I have no idea what we will do. We will still fly into Vegas & stay the first night there. If GCNP is closed we might go to the West Rim & sight see but that's like rubbing salt in an open wound. Our hotels in Vegas are paid for but that's only 3 nights out of 7. I like Vegas but I don't care to stay there for a week. Looks like I might have to find alternative activities just in case.