We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking along Rim Trail between Village and Hermits Rest

Boston...
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Topic
Hiking along Rim Trail between Village and Hermits Rest

We'll (hopefully) be visiting the South Rim for the first time next weekend. On our arrival day (arriving from Sedona via Sunset Crater/Wupatki/Cameron Trading Post) we're planning on entering via the east entrance and visiting the view points along Desert View drive. On our full day at the South Rim, we plan to hike down Bright Angel trail to 1.5 mile rest house in the morning. In the afternoon, we'd like to explore the viewpoints along the road to Hermit's rest, using a combination of hiking along the rim trail between some of the viewpoints, and using the shuttle.

Which sections of the rim trail (between the village Hermits Rest) would be the most interesting to walk between? And are there any sections that are less interesting? And are there any sections of this part of the rim trail that are narrow with steep dropoffs (I have a fear of heights, so narrow w/ steep dropoffs can be a problem for me. If the trail has a dropoff but is wide, I can usually manage).

Thanks!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,092 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking along Rim Trail between Village and Hermits Rest

You'll receive a park newspaper with maps and shuttle info and suggestions for hiking/riding the west road to Hermit Rest and back. It's all scenic and no scary spots. You can preview all of that info at the park website too.

Don't think of the 1.5 mile rest house as a destination on Bright Angel. You don't need to walk that far to get a good feel for the environment below the rim. Turn around where ever you want to.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 22:48
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking along Rim Trail between Village and Hermits Rest

I also have a fear of edges and have never felt anything when on the Rim Trail. We usually judge our walks between viewpoints as opposed to when we catch the shuttle by how long the que is to board a bus. If its too long, we just keep on walking!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking along Rim Trail between Village and Hermits Rest

The first stretch, from the start of Hermit Road to the first Trailview Overlook, is uphill, and pretty steep in some sections. I was glad I only walked down it, and not up it. The entire Rim Trail appears to be available in Street View on Google Maps, so you can preview the different sections of the trail.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking along Rim Trail between Village and Hermits Rest

Keep in mind that the shuttle stops at every viewpoint on the way to Hermit's Rest, but on the return trip only makes a couple of stops.

Boston...
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking along Rim Trail between Village and Hermits Rest

Thanks everyone for info/tips! AZFan - I like your approach. I can definitely see us doing that .

Paris, Idaho
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking along Rim Trail between Village and Hermits Rest

The Rim Trail is all very scenic. I remember that some parts were less interesting than others (in those spots, you get further away from the Rim and can't see as well), but I can't remember all of the details. Beginning at Grand Canyon Village, the trail is paved and more formalized. The farther you get toward Hermit's Rest, the less formalized the trail is - to the point that you can't tell what the trail really is. People just walk anywhere, and they also just walk on the road. You can find a sneak preview of the South Rim Trail here: …untraveledroad.com/SouthRimTrail.htm

The left "South Rim Trail" entry point begins a self-guided virtual tour that begins near Grand Canyon Village, and continuing Westbound along the trail takes you in the direction of Hermit's Rest. I am thinking that would give you a pretty definite idea of what you will find along the trail. Perhaps that would help more than anything in helping you choose where to hike and where to take the shuttle.

The Bright Angel Trail is a grueling hike. It starts out easy, and you can go a long ways down before you realize how far you've gone. However, whatever goes down, must also go back up; and that's when the hiking gets hard. The rest house consists of a roof for shade and some benches. A virtual tour of the Bright Angel Trail is available here as well: …untraveledroad.com/BrightAngelTrail.htm

Sharon

7. Re: Hiking along Rim Trail between Village and Hermits Rest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:18