We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heliopter Add On or Not?

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Heliopter Add On or Not?

We are planning an day trip from Las Vegas consisting of a plane trip out to the South Rim with a visit to a couple of view points with the option of visiting just one view point but a helicopter trip as well. We definitely want to see the south rim but hiring a car is out of the question for us and this plane trip looks to suit us very well but we are unsure whether to do the helicopter or not. I know you get fantastic views from rim but would the helicopter be worth the extra money. This is a one off opportunity for us and we'd like to make the most of it.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heliopter Add On or Not?

Wit your limited time I'd stick to the rim esp after the planeflight from Las Vegas but that's just MHO.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,884 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heliopter Add On or Not?

This is so hard to say. I like being able to look at stuff closely and touch it, so I like the ground. But I know the helicopter ride is said to be spectacular - I keep saying we'll get around to it.

But if it was me, I'd want the time on the ground, at the rim. For one thing, I'd want to see the amazing park architecture at the Village...

If the two rim stops are Village and Watchtower (and that may be what they are) I wouldn't miss the trip in between them and the second stop for anything.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 23:01
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,081 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heliopter Add On or Not?

The down side of adding the helicopter flight is that you do so as a trade off for time on the ground on the rim. That time is limited enough as it is. Day trips from LV give you about 3 hours inside the park. Do the flight and it will be little more than an hour, and that time will be at the busiest and most crowded spot on the rim path, just outside of the ice cream store.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heliopter Add On or Not?

We did the helicopter tour last summer and it was our favourite part of our trip to GCNP, so I'd say go for it. Even with the limited time you have

Mason, Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heliopter Add On or Not?

I say go with the helicopter...We've done it and I keep describing it as the oppurtunity of a lifetime (though we could do it again)...it was just that amazing!

Romford
Level Contributor
220 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heliopter Add On or Not?

We did this trip in September and went on the helicopter it was fantastic.

Romford
Level Contributor
220 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heliopter Add On or Not?

We went on this trip in September the helicopter was fantastic. Really enjoyed the whole day.

8. Re: Heliopter Add On or Not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 06:22