We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Las Vegas to Sky-walk on GCW or to GCNP?

Katy, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Las Vegas to Sky-walk on GCW or to GCNP?

Hi, My wife and I are planing a trip to Las Vegas in November of this year and I want us to go to see the Grand Canyon but I am getting confused and lost with all the information available.

This is the deal we really only have one day and I plan to leave Las Vegas in the early morning anywhere from 4 to 6 AM and drive to the Grand Canyon.

Where my confusion is which site is BETTER Grand Canyon West Rim or Grand Canyon Village? and If I drive from Las Vegas to either of them How long is the drive and are they regular roads or there is some dirt roads? Also leaving Las Vegas at that time and in that time of the year does it Snow? What is the weather in mid November?

Please help and before hand Thanks for any replys.

Happy travelers...

Edited: 23 October 2013, 02:44
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,770 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Sky-walk on GCW or to GCNP?

All paved highways and good ones at that if you opt for the GCNP at the South Rim. This is where you'll find the grand canyon that you're seeking. GCW/skywalk is a commercial venture on a side canyon that is scenic, but it is NOT the real grand Canyon.

The drive will take between 4-5 hours. Snow would be out of the ordinary, but not out of the question.

Read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Sky-walk on GCW or to GCNP?

To GCNP all on paved and good roads. The stretch to GCW is via a 12 miles dirtroad that can be bumpy and you'll pay app $ 100,-- pp for visiting incl skywalk. Entrance fee for GCNP only is $ 25,-- for car and passengers. Go to the NP.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Sky-walk on GCW or to GCNP?

Yep--Grand Canyon NP South Rim is the place to be. So many viewpoints, so much to see and appreciate. Two of my favorites are Lipan Point and Desert View, but you can't go wrong anywhere. Enjoy your day.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Sky-walk on GCW or to GCNP?

Grand Canyon Village/the national park/the South Rim is always better.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Sky-walk on GCW or to GCNP?

The Sky Walk is defiantely not worth it! You are ushered on the walkway in groups and once you've had your official photograph taken your whisked along the arch quickly.

Katy, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Sky-walk on GCW or to GCNP?

Thank you so much for all the replays and this couldn't be easier GCNP IT IS,.... THANK YOU VERY MUCH now all I have to do is wait till Nov, 17 :s

Thank you again and I would post some pics and vid if possible when we come back.

7. Re: Driving from Las Vegas to Sky-walk on GCW or to GCNP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:18